Cell phone cam

Are there any cell phone cameras that allow some sort of minimal exposure control?

I am in the market for a new phone and found out to my disappointment that

Cingular only has some very mundane phones on offer if i just upgrade my current

account (I am out of contract). However, I can get some pretty cool phones for

cheaper if I just get a new service so I have unwillingly decided to change my

number and get a new contract/phone.

However, since this phone cam will be my first digital camera of any sort, I

have a few basic questions. What sort of features might I reasonably expect from

a midrange phone? Some phones have a flash, it seems. I assume they would be

garbage for night photography but might be handy for daylight head and shoulder

portraits as fill - but do these phones at all let the user decide when to use

flash or is it auto-everything? Finally, can these phones directly download

images to the PC or will the service charge me for emailing them to myself - how

many pics might a 1.3 mp phone store?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Anupam

About downloading directly to computer, it can be done. Not that they will tell you so. They want you to email them from the phone in order to charge you. I did it once with a motorola phone and usb cord. Forgot how I did that! By calling the phone company not the utility company, I was able to get step by step directions. Good luck! d.d.

So far I haven't come across any cellphone which gives you any sort of exposure control. However, all the camera phones I've seen have some sort of USB connectivity to a PC/Mac. If your service provider disables that (like Verizon cripples MP3 transfer on the new Motorola Razr : <A HREF=http://blog.wired.com/music/#1520340>http://blog.wired.com/music/#1520340</A> ) and forces you to use their data services, then you're out of luck, or better off with a different provider. I use a sony ericsson K750I and all you need is a phone - USB cable (provided with my phone) and your PC can talk to the phone, download photos, contact details, etc.

I shall try to answer some parts of your questions....

Firstly, on the exposure control side, no they do not offer any exposure control. Even, focussing options are pre-programmed and no user intervention is allowed. As regards the flash, one has the option to turn it on.

Quality-wise, let's not discuss it. Afterall, we are used to high quality results. IOW, it would never satisfy you.

As regards downloading images to PC, it can easily be done with USB cable that is supplied with the camera. Nokia also offers PC Suite. I have had no problems in transferring data to and fro with my Motorola (A768i) and Nokia (E61) handsets.

Emailing the images to your mail id might be charged by your service provider (GPRS connection needed). Surfing the web (WAP/HTML) charges also depend on service providers. Transferring data using USB cable does not result in any charges at all.

You can get yourself a 3 mpix camera phone also. Look for these basic features - Bluetooth, USB port, decent internal memory, Audio and Video player (RM/MP3), WAP browser, etc.

Desirable features :- W-Lan, Document readers, HTML browser, External memory options (you can add separate memory cards upto 2GB), etc.

Surf this site :- www.gsmarena.com

In my opinion, cameras phones are bunk. Get yourself a regular phone (no camera) and

invest in a halfway decent point and shoot with some manual functions or something

better if you can afford it. I don't think a camera phone is going to help you learn the art

of photography. Why don't you just get a film camera then? They're fairly inexpensive too

and you can do a lot more than with a point and shoot (usually).

Actually you already have some nice photos on your portfolio. I would just keep doing

what you're doing but if it's a digital you really want, go with the suggestion from the

previous posts, like a 3MP camera, mind you digis are also going down in price too these

days.

Nanette, Might I ask you not to assume my motives and to just address the question? When I want to do 'the art of photography' I'll use one of my many film cameras. I also carry an Olympus XA most of the time for street shooting. And I have no desire to buy a point and shoot digital to replace it. The only digital I would currently consider would be a D200 when I can afford it. However, given the choice between a dozen free camera phones, I would like to choose the least bad one - hence my question. Thank you, -A

Hello,

Many phones that have bluetooth will also have a USB adaptor you can plug into your computer, so you can transfer your files that way. I plan to buy one when I can get to a phone shop.

As for exposure control, my Motrola V3 has a lighten and darken facility. It's a pretty basic model, so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a more up-market phone may have a better camera and control system.

Picture quality. Hmmm

Anupam,

You weren't clear in your post what you wanted to use a camera phone for, so I could only

presume you wanted to do photography with it. If you read my second post, I did say that

you had some nice work in your portofolio and that you should continue using whatever

camera you already had. You obviously know the art of photography already. Maybe make

your motives clear and you wouldn't get these kind of responses. I was only trying to be

helpful and giving my opinion. Afterall, isn't that what people do here and why people are

posting? At least I didn't leave you a "wiseass" remark and tell you to post this in the

"gadgets" section.

No problem Nanette. I appreciate your response and maybe my reply was a trifle testy as well - if so, I apologize. What I hope a cell cam can do for me with careful use is eliminate the need to spend time scanning slides just to be able to send pictures of friends and family over the net. I figure it might have just enough for that purpose. If not, then there's always my F3:).

Camera phones are toys, intended to increase sales among fourteen-year-old consumers (mom, it's a camera and a phone...) They might be good for some severely limited experimental work if you have a great imagination, but if you're looking for a phone with a decent camera on it, forget about it. I would invest more in the features of the phone than the camera gimmick. In fact, I would recommend skipping the camera option altogether.

-e-

I have an Imate (HTC Prophet - also sold as XDA something or the other, and a bunch of other models) Pocket PC phone.

It's a fairly decent 2MP camera for snapshots, actually (although stick to frontlight.. and amply lit) - and b/c the phone has EDGE, email, bluetooth, WLAN, infrared and an SD card, you can (1) upload photos to your PC for editing in PS (2) send photos via MMS and (3) send photos via email from your phone itself. And it is a cracker of a PDA as well (not to mention web browser, MP3 player, photo archive, et).

Otherwise, any of the higher end phones (Nokia, Sony, etc) ought to let you move photos back and forth between your PC and handset without too many problems.

Vandit

My Motorola V220, which is probably the cheapest camera phone you can buy, has exposure compensation in 1/3 stop increments hidden in the menu. It also has some very, very limited white balance control.

I wouldn't consider using it seriosly, but there have been times when I I've been glad to have any kind of camera at all, and those are the times when I've used it. I don't generally carry an SLR everywhere I go.

No worries Anupam. Now that I understand your motive for the camera phone, I can see

why you would want to get one. Although depending on the cost of the phone, I would

compare that to the price of a digital point and shoot. You can get some point and shoot

cameras that will provide you with the same or better quality for less and fairly

lightweight. Since I don't always carry my SLR everywhere I go, I bought a point and shoot

exactly for the purposes. And it's small enough that it's not a bother to carry. Of course,

you can't send the picture anywhere from your camera but with a phone you can. I guess

it's best to weigh out your options and choose what's best for you. Good luck!