Film better not die anytime soon...

gee-bug

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Speaking of worthless, have you folks priced a Nikon F(2,3,4) lately? Or how about a Contax SLR"

Good point. I was in a well known UK camera shop yesterday and I was stunned by how much unsold used stock they had. I think the owner must be in denial. He hasn't dropped his prices at all as far as I can see, and his shelves are ready to snap under the weight of Nikon F, Leica M6, and Contax G series. If I was him I'd be very worried.

<i>I'm sick of film...</i>

<p>

Eric, Very funny. Thanks.

<p>

If you are at a loss regarding your negs try this. Crunch them up into a ball, stick the ball in

a glass jar and then set fire to it. I dont know what chemicals they put in developed film but

it produces some amazing colours when on fire. Smells real good too...

"Film better not die anytime soon...

...because I just bought two more Leica lenses! Actually, traded my 75 Summilux for a minty 50 Summicron and a 28 Elmarit."

Seems you didn't think it through too thoroughly before setting up your digital vs film troll. The usefulness and value of Leica M lenses is not in jeopardy even if film "dies" given the M8 will be out soon. The crop factor will shift the preferences toward the wider end, so your trade was even in the right direction.

Think in terms of marketing strategy: There are probably millions of quality film cameras still in use throughout the world. There will be good precentage of users who will either stick with film or use both film and digital. The market for film and film related products is shrinking and the current number of manufacturers must diversify or completely bail from film.

The marketing game is to be the manufacturer who gets the residual business, as this niche market will be loyal, responsive and will pay a premium price for materials. They most likely profile as good spenders.

Expect to see closures, but also mergers. But don't expect to see film go away. Expect to see more hybrid cameras, maybe even from the likes of Nikon. And remember: film can be scanned and migrated into the digital world. This is a key attribute of its survival.

If and when film dies out then those of you that have....

1) Stockpiled a lifetime supply

2) Found a way to manufacture your own film

Will be OK

If you have NOT done 1) or 2) and you still won't entertain the idea of digital then you will need a new hobby.

If film manufacture does not die out and remains affordable then you will be OK won't you?

It really is very easy and unless you are the CEO of a company making film there is bugger all you can do about it.

I'd hazard a guess that a fair number of us are old enough to remember the big theological debates about the theory that "God Is Dead". Remember? Religion is still "big business" and I don't know any ministers, priests, rabbis or imans in the unemplyment line. If anything, it's a growth "industry". Ooh! What if there IS a statistically significant correlation between the divorce rate and whether the wedding photos were film or digital?

Al Kaplan - Miami, FL Prolific Poster, jul 15, 2006; 03:58 p.m.

"I'd hazard a guess that a fair number of us are old enough to remember the big theological debates about the theory that "God Is Dead".

You see Al, even assuming you meant Nietzsche's statement (made in 1888) - and the debate that followed - you would have to be over 125 years old, at the very least, to remember it.

Thank you, Cosina. I suppose I should have done a Google search so I could cite precise facts and figures about the God is Dead excitement of a few decades ago. I just assumed that a reasonably well educated group of photographers would have been aware of it. I guess when they were younger a lot of them just bought magazines to look at the pretty pictures. In the meantime those of us entrusted with Keeping the Faith strongly believe that film is very much alive.

"In the meantime those of us entrusted with Keeping the Faith strongly believe that film is very much alive."

Who exactly entrusted you in particular Al? If you are a 'high priest' of chemicals I suspect we need a different definition of 'high' and certainly a different one of 'chemicals'.

Ken,

I missed the Cherry Creek art show, between having to move a relative and those storms, I even missed all the fireworks as I sat in my power-out house!

As to film and digital:

My CL and 40/2 are a great companion for travel. Couple of rolls of TMAX and I'm in business.

My 20D with grip is a BEAST. Great image potential.

My SDIV makes good scans, but in the name of all things Holy I am tired of dust. It makes my CL with 35mm film a 12MP camera, kind of.

My Epson 2200 makes fine prints. I have some 13x19 of Rome and the Vatican from my 20D that I find incredible.

I like the "Cyborg" method of film and digital printing. Once I "Burn and dodge" a print its nice to be able to rattle a few off.

I think the biggest advantage of a digital output is the ability to share online. I do the weekly competition over on FredMiranda, and I think it really has helped me. I tend to post more of my CL stuff at RFF.

I would be interested in doing a reverse "Cyborg" system. Digital capture but output out thru something like a laserjet onto wet developed paper either RC or fiber. Run it thru some vertical tanks.

Am I on crack? Wouldn't it take care of the dmax, tonal range, color cast, and archival characteristics?<div>00HIz1-31194184.jpg.b4c701dcc41a05594931886ee4712103.jpg</div>