Dumb question...

patrick_s2

Hi all,

I am trying to find those thin black cloth nikon straps for my M6's.

I have one (with the triangle attatchments at the lugs) which works

well, and a leica strap (with the push-on lug closures) - which

almost came undone the other day at the lugs. I don't need some

fancy leather strap, just something thin and durable.

I looked on the bay, and got a million hits for nikon strap. Anybody

have one of these laying around?

Thanks

I don't have any lying around, but you are looking for the Nikon AN-4B strap:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=37064&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Personally, I prefer the Leica nylon strap on Leicas, and, unlike other Leica gear, its only twice the price of a Nikon strap:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=30496&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

I have used the thin Nikon AN-4 straps, and I think that's the one you are after, but I suggest the Domke gripper strap as an alternative. They make a couple of different sizes and colors, with and without metal release swivels ( I prefer them without). The <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=16174&is=REG&addedTroughType=search"> one inch</a> version. It has become my favorite camera strap. I have them on all my smaller cameras. Good luck finding just the one you want.

In fact I don't like Leica's original black nylon strap. The length is fine but the feel is awful. In addition, they tend to scratch the camera body just abovethe lugs. However, try Voigtlaender DeLuxe soft canvas strap. It comes with fine leather covers for lugs, and they are not going to come that easily either. Not to mention how comfortable they are for wearing. A lot of fine details on them as well.

"Leica's original black nylon strap ... tend(s) to scratch the camera body just above the lugs."

For my expensive bodies that have lugs, I have a leather maker cut me one-inch diameter circles out of heavy black leather. Then I have him cut an eighth-inch concentric circle in the center.

I push the leather circle over the lug, then attach the strap. That way, I never get rub marks or brassing from the strap or its hardware.

The Domke gripper is a good strap. The best strap I have ever used for a

working camera is the UPStrap .I have one on each of my G2's and Nikon S2.

You can have this stap on your shoulder and lean over to pick something up

and the camera stays on your shoulder. They are a little pricey ,but so worth

the cost ,to keep your camera from hitting the ground. Here is their web site.

http://www.upstrap-pro.com/

A&A make the Voigtlander straps for Cosina. Surprised you didn't know that Roger. None of them is adjustable for length (though they make at least one model in 2 lengths)and all of them are many times more expensive than the generic straps such as the Domke. They're perfect frou-frou for hanging Leica bling around your neck but from a utilitarian and economic standpoint there are better ones out there.

Dear Vinay,

Imagine this:

Manufacturers and importers are willing to let you 'try' straps in the hope you will mention them in print (i.e. they are trying to bribe you).

Quite a lot of manufacturers try to bribe me. It's actually quite difficult for them to do so. If something is good I'll say so even if I can't keep it. I hated giving the Contax outfit back, for example, but I've continued to say that I have never used better (equivalent) lenses than the 35/1.4, 35/2.8 PC and 100/2.8 Makro. Some as good, yes: better, no.

But if it's no good, I don't want it anyway. No-one has yet offered me enough money to persuade me to sing the praises of gear I don't like. I don't say it can't be done: I just say that I've never yet been offered a big enough bribe that I've ever had to consider the question.

Yes, A&A straps are quite expensive. But I prefer them to most 'generic' straps -- and I have used them (and continue to use them because I like them). So I think 'bling' is a little harsh. Perhaps 'the best' is what you choose when cost isn't an issue.

And where did I say anything about A&A and Voigtlander?

Cheers,

Roger

Back in the early 80's Nikon marketed a soft nylon strap, adjustable from both ends. It was wider in the middle and had a sewn in place sueded leather non-slip shoulder pad. The one downside was that they were bright yellow with lengthwise black stripes. I use one on my Bessa L.

Al, that's Nikon's AN-4Y strap:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=37065&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

The AN-4Y (Yellow) is the same strap as the AN-4B (Black), but for the color variation:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=37064&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

I would note that Nikon has switched from metal to plastic fasteners on both "AN" straps. The plastic fasteners are easier on camera bodies.

Dear Dayton,

The strap on page 94 of the April 2006 Shutterbug is the improbably named 'Vegetable Tanned' strap. It's on the artisanandartist.com site but not the .co.uk site. We got ours from Photo Village in New York (www.photovillage.com). It's described on the .com site (link from photo village) as 'limited edition' and I couldn't see a price.

These straps are indeed staggeringly expensive -- in the UK the Cordovan leather one is sixty-five pounds or over $100 -- but they are also staggeringly well made. Then again, they'd need to be...

Cheers,

Roger

"(The) 'Vegetable Tanned' strap ... is sixty-five pounds or over $100(.)"

"I love money. I love everything about it. I bought some pretty good stuff. Got me a $300 pair of socks ... got a fur sink ... let's see ... an electric dog-polisher ... a gasoline-powered turtleneck sweater ... and of course I bought some dumb stuff, too." -Steve Martin

<<And where did I say anything about A&A and Voigtlander?>>

And where did I say anything about you accepting bribes????!!!!! All I remarked is surprise that since the Voigtlander strap had been mentioned and you mentioned the A&A straps, that you, as someone involved with the photographic press, didn't seem to know they're made by the same company. Good lord this forum brings out the worst in people.

Dear Vinay,

I am very sorry; I had no intention of sugggesting that you did say anything about bribes. That was entirely my way of explaining why I sometimes have absurdly expensive kit, and that I won't praise it merely because it is absurdly expensive: it has to be good as well. If it's staggeringly expensive, it has to be the best, or close to it, or clearly it's not worth the money.

I don't think that the A&A line is the same as Voigtlander, but as it says on their web-site that they make Voigtlander straps, yes, I am aware of it. What puzzled me was your assumption that I didn't. Where did I disclose my ignorance? That was all I meant.

Once again, my apologies for leading you to misunderstand me: I had no intention to bring out the worst in you, any more than you intended to bring out the worst in me.

Cheers,

Roger

<<Where did I disclose my ignorance?>>

Again, I didn't ever imply you were ignorant. I've got several of your books and am a fan. You are however evidently extremely sensitive and touchy and quick to imagine people mean to insult or offend you. But I can certainly see why, given the disrespectful conduct that's allowed on this forum.

Yeah! Disrespect to Roger. No I dont mean that really. I am envious of the book sales, the beard, the monocle, the exclusive but deceptively spartan 'rustique' lifestyle that only an Englishman could afford in France (the French certainly couldn't until gullible Brit 'downsizers' arrived and the peasants cashed in gratefully) the Summicron 75/2 APO and living in a part of the world that film-makers make a bee-line for when they want to portray England over 100 years ago. Good luck I say.

Dear Vinay,

Sorry, I seem to have misled you again. I'm really not being touchy or sensitive. I didn't think I'd ever said anything at all about any relationship (or lack of it) between A&A and Voigtlander. I was just puzzled at where you had gathered the information on which you had drawn that conclusion.

There seems to be some sort of persistant misunderstanding here, for which (once again) I can only apologize. It may be down to cultural differences: American English and English English have very different nuances, and it is next to impossible to know when one has offended someone whose background in or appreciation of the language is different.

Cheers,

Roger