Lens Recommendation

ohiopratts

Consider also the superlative 70-200mm f/4L, even if it doesn't reach 300mm. There is also a 70-300mm f/45-5.6 DO IS USM that has a real ring-USM (not the noisy pseudo-USM a.k.a. micro-USM). It is more expensive, but also very lightweight thanks to the diffractive optics (a Canon exclusive).

<p>

Read this <a href="http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/70-300is/review">review</a> for a comparison of the DO and the newer non-DO 70-300mm lenses.

Interestingly, the 70-300 DO actually weighs more than the 70-300 non-DO. Given that they are both the same aperture, both have IS, and optically the DO is (I have read) not a stand-out, the only difference is that the DO has a decent USM with FTM, and the non-DO doesn't. Is it worth paying twice the price for that?

Apparently you only really need the DO IS over the non-DO IS if you have to have a lens that's 4cm shorter and has ring USM (and is more prone to flare, and is heavier). Just make sure your IS lens doesn't have a 0 or 1 as the third digit of your serial number, otherwise you'll want to send it back for a fix...see above.

That 70-200f4L is also a darn good lens (optically and price wise)...but it does not go up to 300mm.

When I was diciding about what zoom to buy 2 years ago is was between the now older EF75-300 IS USM and the EF 70-200f4L. Because of the not so good reviews of the 75-300 I bought the 70-200f4L and do not regret it.

But now I would have more problems to decide : really would enjoy

to have that extra 100mm and IS. For sure since the optics of that new 70-300 seems to be very good! Maybe not like the 70-200...

On top of that people in the street don't stare at you when you cary a black lens....the 70-200f4L does the opposite!