Does digital make you a better photographer?

Travis that maybe me and you but for the beginer it maybe to check composition, focus , exposure and such. So instant can be helpfull for them . For me it would be lighting and histo and maybe focus. So different things depending on ones experience but for a beginer i think it is helpful does it make you a better photographer.No only your desire to be one will this is just a tool that has some benifits to it

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. Kaplan,

Excellent. What a great way to learn photography! Galen also said the same thing about chrome. "I press the button and then I am done." Chrome forces you to do it well and to do it right the first time. I learned to photograph with K64. Your mistakes live forever on that stuff!

I have been using digital cameras for 3 years now and occasional films. I see several advantages to digital shooting: costs and conservation of film; possibility and ease to change the ASA between pictures but more important the possibility to immediately check that I have the picture(s) I wanted. I am interested mainly in people and in wildlife. You can see examples at www.ventsdest.net

I am looking forward to the availability of the Digital M

But am I now a better photographer? Possibly but in any case more quickly aware of my mistakes and flaws.

Digital is a good learning tool for things like learning flash techniques.

More photos with digital? Sure.

Better? Nope.

Checking that you got the shot is stupid, unless it's something you can shoot over right

away like a wedding formal or a still life or a commercial shot. For everything else the

moment isn't repeatable. And while you are checking the last shot, the next one happened

while you weren't looking. See it all the time with people who shoot photojournalist

weddings.

Cheaper? Nope. The only difference in price is the cost of film stock and the film

processing. Proofs and prints are the same price ... but the digital gear is a lot more

expensive to buy and maintain.