Darkroom to Digital

wmwhee

Just finished reading, for the first time, a fine book on b&w digital

photography that makes a transition to the same seem almost possible

for traditional b&w photographers--without having to give up all that

one has learned about photography or one's favorite cameras and film.

The book, authored by Eddie Ephraums, is called DARKROOM TO DIGITAL;

BLACK AND WHITE PHOTOGRAPHY WITH PHOTOSHOP--THE ART OF TRANSITION

(Argentum, 2004). Ephraums writes about the digital darkroom, its

tools and processes, in terms associated with the traditional

darkroom. He illustrates his discussion effectively with his own

photographs. The digital darkroom becomes, not a replacement for,

but an extension of, the traditional darkroom as a means of creative

expression.

Like most members of the Leica Forum, Ephraums uses (prefers?) film

cameras; he also uses, like some members, a digital camera. I would

recommend this book to those of you, especially b&w photographers and

printers, even mildly curious about the digital side of our craft.

Thanks for the reference, Bill.

I am self-taught in both the wet and digital darkrooms, and I have found the latter to be a more convenient but harder to master.

Perhaps I'm missing something basic and maybe I'll find it in this book. At least I hope I will. Every time I try to make a digital print that I'm really happy with, I come closer to starting to mix chemicals again.

Thanks for pointing this out, Bill. I've just ordered a copy from overstock.com.

I prefer digital to film, but I recognize the difficulty in making satisfying B&W images from

digital exposures, and I'm hoping the book will have some ideas I can use.

Stuart

Next time you are in the market for a printer try an Epson 1280...if they are still making them at that time. I bought a brand new one last November; to illustrate the fact that even though the printer is obsolete, Epson keeps making them available..... I think because they are one of a few relatively inexpensive printers available that makes outstanding black & white with separate black ink supply. Results are very nice....many people are aware of this printer's reputation and continue to ask for it. Largest print is 13 x 19.

stuart...

you'll also need a 'paper profile', if you're in the uk use chaudigital.com (it'll cost you)

he''ll send you a chart to print out on your favourite paper. he'll then send a personal

profile for you to use withing photoshop. and if your monitor is properly calibrated, you'll

get exactly what you see on the screen.

The point here is Inkjet prints are not archival despite all the claims made by the makers. Pro labs print B&W on color paper great result but again not archival. If you whish for your grandchildren to enjoy your photography use your darkroom. I just recently printed a batch of negs taken with a Kodak 110 some seventy years back the quality will blow you away , I would post some but my scanner is too small.

I think people should be aware that this book is more philosophical than technical; you're unlikely to find any hard information that will solve your printing dilemmas, for example.As an alternative, try John Beardsworth's "Step by step Digital B&W Photography".

Ade Rixon is correct in saying Ephraums' book is more philosophical than technical, a good starting place for someone (like me) merely considering a transition to digital darkroom from wet darkroom.

The more technical book mentioned by Ade, Beardworth's STEP BY STEP B&W DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY, might better serve the needs of intermediate to advanced users. At the same time, it sounds as though Ephraums has experienced the same frustrations as others among you; his experience informs both his philosophical and practical approach to digital printing.

Taking a look at Ephraums' book--look for it at your public library--might encourage those of you frustrated by the technical side, as I know I myself would be, to stay the course.