jack_a

I was wondering if it was possible to use the Metz 60 CT-4 in auto

mode (just set iso and desired f-stop) with the Nikon D-200? or, Is

it more advisable to use the Nikon sb-800 or the Metz 76 MZ-5 with

iTTL capabilities? Note: I have never used TTL or Nikon's iTTL and

don't know what it is, or what it does; the benefits over using a

flash in auto mode/thyristor. Nadine from San Francisco metion in a

thread that using the Metz 60 CT-4 with the Nikon D-200 was

possible; but didn't mention if was possible in auto mode.

Thanks...

Auto-thyristor flashes work with any camera that has a standard sync connection, so the Metz 60 will work with the D200. To address your question regarding the use of an auto flash versus a TTL flash, it's a personal perference as you can achieve similar results with both. Auto flashes require that you manually set the camera's aperture to match the flash (set your camera to manual exposure mode). TTL flashes do this automatically as they adjust to the camera settings. TTL is an acronym for "Through The Lens" wich uses the camera's metering system to determine flash exposure. Auto flashes use their own sensor to determine correct exposure. TTL flashes are generally simpler to use as they are fully integrated with the camera while auto flashes require more thinking on the part of the photographer. Some, myself included, prefer auto flashes as they tend to provide more consistent exposures and they also work with other cameras (I use the same ones for my digital, 35mm, and medium format cameras).

Michael, Jim, and of course Nadine thank you very much for your response and great advise regarding the use of the Metz 60 CT-4 stobe with the Nikon D-200; you just saved me approx. $1600-$3200 in new strobes (I wasn't sure whethter to purchace one or two of the new Metz 76 MZ-5s and power packs)!!! WOW...Now I can buy a second D-200 and/or more "glass". :-)

<<Micheal - wondering if I can use the Metz 45CL in the same way.>>

I'm not Michael, but the answer to that question is "yes." Well, at least with my Mez 45 CL-4 the answer is yes. Any Metz with its own sensor for auto-mode (auto thyristor) controlled flash will work that way. Piece of cake.

<<So to use the Flash in Auto I should be setting the dial on the top of the Flash to the same Aperture as the lens. Is this right?>>

That's one way. It's the right way when your flash is providing all of the light, or at least when your flash is the dominant source of light.

If you have a lot of ambient light but want fill flash, you might get even better results in "Auto" mode by lying to the Metz a bit. Don't worry, it won't reduce your chances of getting into the GOOD place in the afterlife. It's not that kind of lie. But you can set the Metz at one f/stop wider than whatever f/stop you are really using on your lens. For example, if your lens is set at f/8, set the Metz at f/5.6 for this technique. The calculations made by the Metz during exposure will therefore lead the flash to cut off sooner than if both flash and lens were set to the same aperture -- because the Metz will think your camera is gathering more light than the camera really is gathering. The flash contribution to the exposure is nicely understated, and many photographers like that look for fill flash. As cooks say, adjust to taste.

Do make sure that the shutter speed in use does not exceed the flash synch speed for the camera body. The camera may be smart enough to take care of that little detail for you, even when using a non-iTTL flash. Most Nikons made in the past 15-20 years have automatic detection of a flash ... but in manual exposure mode they will allow you to make any errors you desire!

Be well,