Mystery Nikon film container

jeff_davis10

Hey everybody. I've been clearing out my old film equipment and came across

something that I have no idea what it is. Maybe you all could help. It looks

like a reloadable film canister -- same size, shape, etc. It's metal, says

Nikon on one side. The side will turn/rotate and open revealing the inside

film take-up. The end has a scale of numbers from 10-200. Any idea? Maybe an

old Nikon bulk roll canister? I know it's not a typical film canister.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Jeff.<div>00HDtW-31058984.jpg.577447befefd8eaa2b5fdd2e278732a8.jpg</div>

What you have is a cassette designed for the Nikon rangefinder and SLR cameras. The numbers are speed (ASA/ISO) reminders, and judging by the low 200 speed marking, it's a somewhat early version.

Each of the cameras mentioned above has a cam under the back locking knob that opens the cassette when you close and lock the back. When you open the back, the cam closes and locks the cassette.

These are very good items if you reload because there is no gate to touch the film. We used them a lot for over-amnped Nikon F motordrives to lower film drag and resistance.

I have seen those on Ebay going for $35 each. I guess some people got to have all Nikon,especially collectors than never really use the stuff they buy. I rather use my "4 for dolla-no holla" plastic bulk cannisters that they sold at SPIRATONE back in the day.

PS....anyone know what a 100ft roll of TRI-X goes for now? Expired 6/71...yes, I still got that Watson bulk film loader in the closet.

Judging the the 'Nikon' script (font), that is a real early one, from the era of the first

rangefinders. Later ones have the new script. This design of font was temporarily revived

for the F5 50th anniversary camera.

I have a nice example of one of these, with the same script in a black wrinkle finish w/ a

plastic (bakelite?) case. The speeds on it go up to 400. It fits in my F but doesn't seem to

work in the F2 (or D200;)). I believe they modified these at a later date to fit in the F2,

which had a swing open back. If these are going for $35 on ebay, mine might be there

soon;)

Thanks to everybody for your kind and informative responses. Sounds like this film container is something I probably picked up along the way and never used -- I've never had an F or early rangefinder. Anyway, if anyone is interested, I'd be willing to donate to a good home. If you'd pay the shipping -- say $5 -- I'd ship it out to you. If interested, please send me an email at jnsadavis@cox.net. Best wishes and thanks again for your help. Jeff.