First Leica photo

cjfraser

Frustrated by the poor tonal quality and limited dynamic range of DSLRs, I've

recently switched to a Leica MP with 35 f/2 and 50 f/1.8 lenses for street

photography... and I love the camera. Here's my first posted Leica photo.<div>00HFgf-31110484.jpg.ac298232c362ab27806ecf38717a5434.jpg</div>

I knew this'd be fun. Pete: Some fine work in your portfolio, really enjoyed it. I still use a D200 for a lot of things. I'm just convinced, from my own experience and others', that a Leica and Tri-X are the better tools for some of the things I'm trying to do. The posted pic isn't intended to be museum-worthy, just amusing because of the words "time to upgrade."

The one unanswered question in the big film/digi debate that concerns me is archiveability of the images. All kinds of theories but only time will tell. On another thread somebody brought up a Bob Dylan photo of mine that I'd shot back in 1964. I still have and make prints from the negatives. For that matter the Leica cameras and glass that I still use today are of the 1970 or older vintage and my enlargers and whatnot even older. All bought and paid for likely before you were born, written off as a business expense, and making money ever since. How much did your DSLR cost you? What's it worth now?

Mr. Bridges, you and the other high school kids at the drugstore should realize that the machine you're operating works by scanning the negatives and then spits out digital prints. If you ever get to Miami I'll let you smell the chemicals, get your hands wet, and give the enlarger a try.

Trevor, there are plenty of worthwhile "modern" photos being made, and digital has its uses, no doubt. I just can't understand why people keep coming to the Leica Forum to put down those of us who prefer using traditional materials in our older Leicas. Also, there are still some big advantages to using an incident light meter over through the lens reflective metering. Chris will no doubt find that out also. But no, Chris comes here to the Leica Forum and promptly gets chided for actually buying a Leica and using it for shooting B&W film. Hell, you can still buy 8x10 view cameras and film for them too. At least the 8x10 shooters have enough sense to not come on the Leica Forum to brag about how much more detail they get with that nice smooth grainless tonality, or about the neat things you can do with swings and tilts front and rear.

Very good! Some will argue like crazy that there is no real difference between that D-thing and film. Let them argue while the rest of us continue to make pictures with film because we find the difference to be profound. Besides the influence of film development methods, I find that scanning traditional enlargements (rather than scanning film) makes the final difference.

It must be terribly distracting for certain folks in either camp to feel compelled to rant instead of making pictures.

Mr. Bridges, you and the other high school kids at the drugstore should realize that the machine you're operating works by scanning the negatives and then spits out digital prints.

Mr.Klap,you and the other old retired dudes should realize that is where the vast majority of film users go to have their negs proccessed and printed. They would be a lot better of using digital having complete control over their work.

The stink of chemicals and the size of grain on different films along with the good old days i leave to you old timers to mutter and murmer about.

I love reading the fights you guys have on this Leica forum.

Maybe you could all relax. Let the Leica people do their thing, let the digital people do their thing.

I think most people generally can accept that some people like digital, some people like film, some people use both (like me) and most people, from each of these categories, have better things to do than diss each other over which medium they prefer.

But do carry on - it's a lot of fun to read!

I personally am one of those "extreme" people who say the photographer is part of the image quality. Everything else is tools. I did not say "just" tools because the tools can be very important. And the choice of the right tool for the right occasion. Or the choice of the right tool to make your shooting fun. So what is the point of doing this debate over and over again?