Updating fimware D70 and D70s

errol

Errol, with all due respect, unless there is something wrong with both cameras, if you have the same problem with installing the firmware update(s) on two different cameras, it's more than likely that you did not actually follow Nikon's instructions exactly to the letter.

My suggestion would be that you enlist the help of a knowledgeable friend to sit by your side and double check that you are performing each step exactly as described.

While the process is not complicated, the steps can be a little confusing if you have never done it before, plus there are number of areas where you might think that you are doing it right when actually you are doing it wrong ;-)

So the D70s firmware should be 1.0?

My d70 shows A is 1.01 and B at 2.00. I remember updating it when they came out. I guess I just updated B.

Still, I do not have the option on either to update when USB is in either setting.

Errol

Read and follow these instructions. Also thee is no firmware update for the D70s at present, at least not in the UK.

Quick guide for download and installing this firmware

Download and expand the firmware files.

Format an approved memory card in the camera (Microdrives cannot be used).

Connect D70 to computer (in MSC USB mode) or use a CF Card Reader (if copying the firmware upgrade to memory card, do not use a Lexar Media JumpShot USB cable as the D70 firmware update may not be performed correctly).

Copy one of the downloaded files AD700200.bin (A firmware) or BD700200.bin (B firmware) to the top level of the card . Do not copy both files to the card at the same time.

Disconnect the camera from the computer.

Turn the camera on, press the "Menu" button and select "firmware Ver".

Follow the camera's on-screen menus.

At completion of upgrade turn the camera off.

Repeat steps 2 - 7, to perform the second firmware update.

Re-format Card.

<p>Latest D70 firmware is A 2.0 and B 2.0.</p>

<p>Since you do not see an option to update, the most likely reason is that you have not copied the .bin file to the <i>top level</i> of the card. If the file is placed within a folder, the camera will not recognize it.</p>

<p>Have you tried it with a card reader, rather than a direct USB connection?</p>

It's still a question of whether you follow the instructions carefully. Didn't mean to disrepect. When you update the firmware, don't try to do both, one at time. If you work on D70, don't think about D70s. Following all the instructions about D70 only. You can do the D70s next day. Don't mix it up. Read the instruction and think about it a little before you procede. This is the time patience is important. Ignoring any of those warning, you still have a possibility to make them useless. Good Luck.

After reading and rereading the instructions and the warning that the camera may become

inoperable, I decided against trying the firmware update for my D70. I can't find anyone to

do it for me, either at my Mac reseller or at the Bestbuy Geeksquad place. I know a few pro

photogs but none of them have ever done it because they say they always have the newest

cameras and never need to update. thanks for any suggestions. I know I will mess it up if I

try it. Local camera dealers have no interest in this, even for a fee which I would gladly pay.

Thanks. Randall