I know this question has come up in some web site critiques but I thought I

would solicit some specific feedback. I have been thinking of re-doing my

wedding web site for quite awhile now but just can�t seem to find the time to

do it myself (I am quite proficient in HTML). So I am considering using one

of the Winklet templates but they are all flash based. The question is flash

or html for my site. I have heard some complaints that people can access flash

sites especially from work and we all know that most research for brides and

grooms happens at work. :)

Any advice for me based on your experiences?

While Flash may be useful for the Gallery, I don't think one should ever feel that it is suitable for general web pages. Stay with the HTML as much as you can. Search engines can't index Flash content, it requires a download to view, and often results in longer load times than a well done HTML page. :)

If you do decide to go with Flash, try to avoid using the newest version (Flash 8, I think). There is no linux support for it. Flash 7 works just fine, and will almost certainly do everything you need.

I realize that only a small number of people are using linux, but creating a site that these users can view is not complicated and doesn't really restrict your content.

My thoughts... when I see SKIP INTRO, that's the first thing I click. Flash is overused in my opinion, buttons, links, fine, but some sites are overkill with Flash everything.

<BR><BR>

Remeber the KISS solution: Keep It Simple S... or at least offer a FLash and a Non-Flash site. Remember, some people are still on dial up.

<BR><BR>

Bob

Keep it simple! I agree with those above. Not everyone has fast internet and still use dial-up. HTML will save you money and allow you to even build your own, as I have, so you have control over everything? Based on my experience, people looking for a wedding photographer want only two things: 1.) To see images 2.) To see price. IMO, not to see how fancy a website is.

If you know html quite well, as well as some css and javascript, then you can create the same animation effects in DHTML as are being done in Flash. Winklet uses just simple text movements and slideshow animations. You can get code for may of these effects here: <a href="http://www.dynamicdrive.com/">Dynamic Drive</a> and here: <a href="http://simplythebest.net/info/dhtml_menus.html">Simply The Best DHTML</a>. Download a Winklet trial and try to mirror it's effects. The good news is you can edit everything and the user doen't need the Flash player plugin (though most do).

Terry