daniel_davis

Please help! The shutter has jammed on my Yaschica 635. I know this

is a common problem, however I would like to know if (and how) it is

possible to repair it myself. I don't mind a challenge, but if it is

almost bound to be in vain, would I be best taking it to be repaired

or selling it?

Thank you all in advance,

Daniel Davis (still an MF novice!)

Dan - I have a 635. Best doorstop I've had thus far. A professional, no offense, may be able to save it - may not. Mine, obviously, having been labeled 'doorstop', was unrepairable. (The estimate to repair was

WELL over the value of the unit.) I have disassembled other models for the lenses. To get to the shutter assembly - the face must be removed. It is not a pretty sight.

Send it to a pro for an estimate.

Greg is right, send the camera to Mark Hama (770) 565-1498 and see what it will take. Mark worked for Yashica for 40 years, so he knows the score. Another option would be to purchase a repair manual, like the one written by Ed Romney (I haven't seen this, and can't vouch for it, but have heard good things) and give it a go. There is currently one on eBay (Item# 85681322) and I know he has a URL to order as well. Do a search for it.

Good luck!

• 10 months later...

By happy coincidence I was in Marietta, GA on a business trip recently which allowed me to bring my ailing Minolta Autocord to Mark Hama directly. He's a very interesting guy, IMO. He can repair just about any classic Japanese TLR you could throw at him with his eyes closed. (He has quite a collection on the shelves of his work room.) He actually worked in the Yashica factory many years ago building (and repairing?) various cameras.<p>

He repairs a very wide range of cameras. While I was there, he was working on a Yashica Dental-eye III, which is a specialty camera designed for dental work. I saw dozens of different models of camera sitting there waiting to be repaired or recently repaired, including some classic japanese rangefinders, Olympus OM-1s, and even a Canon T70. (He told me he prefers to work on the older mechanical cameras, but that doesn't stop him from working on newer models too.)<p>

In any case, I just wanted to let people know that in my opinion, Mark Hama is an honest and highly-skilled technician. I will not hesitate to send him my cameras for repair and I encourage others to do the same. From his business card: Mark Hama LTD. - 2675 Earl Drive - Marietta, GA 30062 - Phone: (770) 565-1498 - Fax: (770) 977-5078

I envy you Russ! I'd love to spend a couple of hours with Mark and pick his brain.

Again, if you have a Yashica, or any other camera you'd like repaired by a professional, take the good advice here and contact Mark Hama. Sure, there are several other great repairman and service-people I used, and even more I've heard of, but this guy is really good and surprisingly reasonable. Many photog's like to dismiss the Japanese TLR's; regarding them as "disposable" But its people like Mark Hama that destroy that stupid myth.