rebel XT sensor off/tilted .5 degrees relative to viewfinder framing

markfields

I have done a carefull study with the viewfinder on my rebel XT. the sensor/viewfinder

alignment ia off by .5 degrees. It is not a focus or distortion (barrell/pincushion) issue as I

do understand what those are about. I did a carefull tripod test with the bottom of the

frame exactly lined up with a sqaure frame and the left bottom is tilted up(the entire frame

is roated .5 out of "square". I do understand that the viewfinder shows about 94-95 % of

what is actually captured in the file- that is not the issue. Every one of my images-

particulalry those that involve angles and straight lines with horizon lines/curbs/windows

etc require that I rotate my images in photoshop .5 degrees. It is easily noticeable. has

anyone else had this issue and can canon fix it. Could I demand replacement body? It

happens that because 5 % of what is in the files was not actually seen in the viewfinder

(becuase its not a 100% accurate viewfinder) after I rotate the files .5 (to the left) I do not

loose any of what i thought i was getting anyway but its still a hassle.. I just crop off that

bit that i loose. Any ideas? I think I'd prefer to have it fixed or get a replacement.

Your thoughts/ experience with same?

Many thanks.

mark

No experience with the digital Rebels, but my film Rebel 2000 also has a slightly misaligned film box. It is clearly visible on strips of film, the long edges are not aligned. I haven't tried measuring the viewfinder/film box alignment, but I wouldn't assume it's perfect either. BTW, on my EOS 3 there's also a slight bit of film box misalignment, but it's less noticable.

<p>I've noticed the same clockwise tilt with my XT on a few occasions. I always assumed it was because I was in a rush and rarely use a tripod. I almost never shoot straight-on horizontal or vertical architecture or landscapes anyway, so it's not a big deal for me personally.

<p>It's possible that my Rebel 2000 had the same problem, but I had just never noticed it. I never shot slides, and always had to adjust a slight tilt from the negative scanner (a cheap flatbed) as a matter of course.

My Nikon N80 and D70 had the same problem. It's a problem in the viewfinder alignment, not the sensor (or film). Part of what makes a cheaper camera cheap is loose tolerance for things like this. However if you complain and send it back, it'll likely get fixed.

Perhaps a little off topic, but I thought I noticed the same thing on my 20D, then found out it's just me. I was having to tilt my pics in Photoshop about 0.5 degrees clockwise all the time, mostly people pics, candids, and such. When I noticed this I set out to deliberately make sure all the lines were straight in the viewfinder and the pics came out OK. I don't remember having this problem with 35mm slides or prints, so I guess it's the combination of the smaller viewfinder with aging eyes for me. I have to admit that sometimes I envy the switchable gridlines in my friends D100...

• 3 months later...
I have exactly the same problem for the second time. Canon did replace the cmos sensor for me but the problem returned a short time later, I am sending it back again and asking they replace my camera body. Mine tils a entire degree! I use the same solution though photoshop.

• 1 month later...
i have the same problem with my canon rebel xt but mine is on the right side the camera is in jamesburg for repair i was in touch with canon for a replacement my frameline tilts up on the rightside tech support says camera is working fine and factory service says the allignment is off i get it on angle shots how can i tilt it in photoshop?

Photoshop has a rotate canvas option under the image menu then select arbitrary and rotate direction as well as degrees. Then use the crop tool to resqaure the image. I was refused by Canon to have my camera fixed a second time with the same problem. I think my next cameras going to be a Nikon!

1/2 degree is about a 0.87 foot drop in 100 feet, and would be considered real missadjusted builders level, which one can align to say 0.01 feet in 100ft with a decent model. <BR><BR>Over a say 10mm side of a sensor, a 0.5 degree error would be 87 microns, about the thickness of a piece of paper.<BR><BR>If you shot 2 folks of equal height standing 3 feet apart; your tilted camera would make on chap appear 5/16 inch taller!<BR><BR>is you tilt with respect to the tripod mounting base too, or is it a viewfinder to sensor error? In the old days one used the cameras base as the reference, the viewfinder was just an aid.

Kelly,

That?s pretty funny thanks for the laugh, I did not do some precise measurement of the errors, all I know is the pictures take look tilted and I got the measurement from Photoshop that?s the amount of rotation that seems to straighten things back up where I would want them. I agree the viewfinder is a guide but isn't the purpose of true TTL so that what you see is what you get?

FB<div>00ITVK-33024384.thumb.jpg.81bfbd6aa966a8a4fe4a5f29be6bb9a7.jpg</div>