D70 & Older AF Lenses & Matrix Meter

chris hughes

Okay, my D70S is on the way, should be here Monday. I've been using my beloved F-100

with these lenses and I'm wondering if they'll work with the D70S's matrix meter or if I'll

have to switch to the DX series lenses.

AF Nikkor 70 - 210 1:4-5.6

AF Nikkor 35 - 70 1:3.3-4.5

I also have a Tokina AF 20 - 35 1:3.5-4.5 and a Tamron AF 75 - 300 1:4.5-5.6LD but I'm

guessing these won't do the matrix thang.

Thoughts?

They will work fine. The only thing that might suffer is flash photos if they are not "D" chip lenes. I know the 35-70 is "D" chip and the Tamron 70-300 is also. The 70-210 and the Tokina you will have to check. The "D" chip give distance info to the flash computer. With out the "D" chip your flash might be a little harsh.

Chris, all Nikon AF lenses from the AF era (since the late 1980's, thus excluding the very rare F3AF lenses) have a built-in CPU and therefore will work fine with metering on all Nikon DSLRs, including the D70s. The main potential issue will be the narrower angle of view as a result of the small sensor.

Most people in this forum agree (which is unusual) that D lenses make little difference on flash photography. On non flash photography, D or non-D make no difference.

Most 3rd-party AF lenses for Nikon should work also, but there may be some exceptions as we discussed recently.

Great news then. Thanks for the info. I really like the lenses I have right now and I wasn't

looking forward to having to switch to DX series glass. Can't wait to get that D70S in my hot

little hands! I love my F-100 and it'll continue to be a work horse but it'll be nice to get into

the digital realm with a true SLR.

I'll second that "D" makes very little difference. I have a mix of D and non-D lenses and they all work great with the D70 flash. My AF 70-210 4-5.6 is the non-D version and it works great with the D70, flash and all. Maybe D made a difference in the past, but I can't see a difference with the advanced TTL of the D70.

D lenses only make a real difference in challenging flash situations, where they can maximize

exposure considerations for in-focus areas. In non-challenging situations they make little

difference and absolutely none in Ambient lighting.

Normally, as others have pointed out, the D makes a very small difference in metering.

There are two exceptions, where the difference is major.

The 70-210mm f4-5.6 is one. When Nikon went to the "D" version, they also changed the AF gear ratio, so the D focuses much faster than the non-D.

The 28mm f2.8 is the other "special case". When Nikon did the D version, they completly redesigned the lens. The new version has more elements and (I believe) CRC. It's sharper, and all around much better.

I've just been using a Sigma 28mm f1.8 ASPH II as a fast standard lens (approximating to 45mm on 35mm). Used on a 35mm camera edges are fairly soft, but as the D70 sensor only sees the centre of the lens field it's pretty ok. (I knew there had to be a use for the Sigma!!).

All of the D70 features I need do function, like matrix, and the fancy features seems to work too. I'll try my 70-210mm f4 AF Nikkor tomorrow if the sun shines.

The next challenge is to hook up an SB20 flash off-camera using an SU4 slave unit and see if the D70 will squelch the flash output as my F80/N80 does.

Alan C. Nottingham, UK