New Leica IIIF

ken_cantrell1

I just bought my first Leica, a IIIF. I have only the body and I plan to buy

my first Leica lens in about 2 months. I plan to use the camera only for

street photography and travel. If I can only afford one Leica lens, which one

should I try to purchase?? (I'll be looking for one in person at the

Photographica show in MA.)

50mm Elmar complements the camera well; it's retractable and makes for a compact package that will fit in a coat pocket. My personal favorite is a 35mm summaron utilizing hyper-focal focusing. If you go with the 35, you will need a viewfinder for accurate framing, which makes the camera more conspicuous, and adds to bulk. If you can afford the Summaron (good, CLA'd one for around $275, +viewfinder) go for that. Otherwise the Elmar 50mm is quite affordable and emminently useful.

Get any coated 50mm lens by Leica, Canon, Nikon, Cosina/Voigtlander -- it doesn't matter much as they are all good. The IIIf works best with a 50mm lens (if you don't wear glasses), otherwise you'll need an auxillary finder which detracts a lot from the usefulness of the little IIIf.

<p>For street and travel I don't see how you could beat a f:3.5/50mm Elmar.

**IF* the latest Elmar-M 50mm f2.8 was made in screw mount, that is the one I'd like for a IIIf. I think some of the modern lenses might have been made for the screw mount. Might be hard to locate one, but it'd sure be sweet with that IIIf. The latest 50 Summicron might also have been made in screw mount. That would also be good.

I use a Summitar 50 2.0 or a 50 3.5 Elmar Red Scale, both coated. A Summitar will be cheaper, but requires off size filters and a boxy folding shade.

A few 50 2.8 Elmars were made in screw mt.

An easy to get item is a CV 50 2.5. Very small and slightly oldfashoned image quality. It will be new and cheapest of all. The others can have age related issues. Mine required internal cleaning and now they make wonderful pic.

Nikon , Cannon, zeiss, all made 50mm screw mt lenses in 1.4 and 2.0. Again age related issues may be present.

Maybe someone will discuss 35mm lenses. I use a 3.5 Summaron.

If it is a Leica lens you are looking for then I second the collapsible summicron, it's just a great setup. I also really love the little 35mm summaron f3.5. Even with the lens hood which is a MUST its still very compact. My summaron hood is a combination of the soozi adapter ring plus the 39mm w Heavy* from the auction site. If any old lens will do then I think the cv 21mm f4 with viewfinder is very tempting! You will really love the IIIf, just remember to trim the film properly and loading won't be a problem. Enjoy it!

Hi Ken. I like the 50mm Elmar F3.5 quite a bit, but when I travel, the 35mm elmar F3.5

using hyperfocal guestimation works surprisingly well. With that combo, I use one of

Voigtlander's excellent 28/35mm mini-finders, which doesn't detract from the smallness

factor as much as the leica volvo-rendition. Here's a pic from a recent trip to NY.<div>00HwjH-32191384.jpg.6938cadd37308fbefa209338f3a3241a.jpg</div>

Leica goes so well with 35mm, I find.

but if you have a IIIF, a 50mm makes more sense - you would get one eventually. As people say, an Elmar, although personally I find a collapsible Serenar, or collp Summicron also works - you may eventually want a fast lens anyway. I also think a Summitar is nice.

Anyway, one lens you should get, if you get a 50mm, is a 25mm VC lens. In HK, it is less than US$200 inclusive of viewfinder. Makes the IIIF an excellent snapper, and also a wide alternative to any pocket digicam you may be carrying.

Thanks everyone for your inputs. I didn't plan to get something so quickly, but I sold several items on ebay and found Woodmere/ Richard Tills AD for a 35mm Summaron in Ex++/+++ condition. I purchased it right away and It was here in two days.What a beautiful lens-I couldn't be happier with it. I'll start with the 35mm for street shots and look for an Elmar 50mm later at the show coming up.

Regards

Ken Cantrell

• 3 months later...
Brad Shimmin, your shot using the 50mm F3.5 elmar is stunning. Super quality sharp and beautiful tones. Can you tell more about how you got this look? How scanned? Hand held or tripod? Film used? Developing? I have a new M7 and more modern lenses but you have surpassed what I've done with your old lens! Help!