Nikon film forum

tri-x1

Digital in "Large Format" is ancient in the professional world, large 4x5" scan backs were available when the fastest CPU was a Pentium. Some of us use them to copy artwork, and own several of them. These scan backs were often 35 megapixel when a Dslr was just 1.3Megapixel, and a high end amateur digital was VGA. <BR><BR>A Nikon film forum is would be abit oddball. Some of us started in 1962 with Nikon for ITS LENSES, and have used them/LENSES on C-mount 16mm cameras, D mount 8mm cameras, video cameras etc. When I started with Nikon they called the lens meter mating piece "the fork", then it caught called the prong, then bunny ears. <BR><BR>Digital has been around for along time, examine your old age ways of being narrow minded.

One of my closeup Nikon Microscope adapter kit with external focusing eyepiece is so old it came in a wooden box, with Nikon relay lenses for D mount, C mount, Nikon S rangefinder, Leica thread mount, and The Nikon F mount ring doesnt fit in any of the holes in the box, it was added later.

We slid off topic there for a moment.

<P>

I've been having a look around. There are two Pentax forums: one for the big 67 and one

for everything else. Dunno where the 645 people go. There are two Canon forums: one for

FD and one for EOS. There are separate main forums for b&w film and for non-b&w and

there is a digital darkroom forum as well.

<P>

Looking back over the last few days, splitting this forum in two (one for Nikon General and

one for Nikon Film) would still produce enough messages in both, but you'd also have to

split the sub-forums. Who would get the lens sub-forum, for example? I'm not sure that

could be done to everyone's liking.

<P>

<B>I have a suggestion!</B> <BR>

Start a new sub-forum called Nikon Film Photography inside the Nikon Forum. And people

who want to avoid beginners (and we were all beginners once) can hang out in there and

avoid the main forum listings if they prefer. Worth a shot? in fact, pondering it, maybe this

is what the original poster meant, rather than a full split. Anyway - I support it. (Oh and

I'm glad someone appreciated my bokeh forum suggestion as well).

Wayne's point is well taken. So far my digital cameras are an Olympus and a Kodak P&S. I look elsewhere for information on them. The Nikon forum is heavily populated with D50/D70/D200/D2x questions at the moment. I find that I'm spending less time here than I used to.<p>Even the film forum is declining - check the number of new posts which are far fewer than they used to be.<p>I always check the Leica forum for amusement!<p>OTOH, I'm spending more time in the digital darkroom forum ever since I obtained the Coolscan 5000.

I've taken the Nikon forum off the favorites list on my browser. But, I still come to the main photo net page using Google. Fortunately the site has many attractions beyond the forums.

Even a brief tour through the galleries gives a good idea of where you have to be, what equipment you have to have, and what you have to do in order to make competent images. And an extended tour of the galleries is a good introduction to the exercise of artisitic imagination.

Now.....if I only had more artisitic imagination, I wouldn'e be hanging around the Nikon forum so much....right? AM I RIGHT?

I agree that a separate Nikon film equipment forum would be desirable. I find myself coming here less and less as well.

There are sites that are very good at silver halide content (http://www.apug.org comes to mind) but photo.net is the first photography forum site I ever visited and I'd like to feel like I want to participate more. The black and white photography forums here are quite active, despite the rush to digital.

Even the manual-focus Nikon mailing list at Yahoo groups is getting boring. It's supposed to be about manual focus equipment, but D200 owners argue that manual Nikkors work well on their cameras. That's nice - they do - but I don't care. Digital is everywhere; I just want a few corners where I don't have to talk about it. Those corners are fewer and further between than ever.

I agree w/ you, Jim. Would be nice not to have to sort thru tons of cluttered digi junk.

Not only is Walmart, Best Buy, Samsung, and Sony trying its hardest to push everyone into the latest digi gizmo, some of us will continue using legendary film types until the bitter end. Just think of it - the F3, F4, F5, F6 arguably some of the best 35-millimeter cameras ever made having to rub elbows w/ the likes of D50 or D70. Absurd as it is ridiculous.

It is just great seeing the posts from those who have contributed significantly to the knowledge of many of us over the years - some dating back to 2000 and more - WOW what a contribution.

I have to say that my sentiments are the same as most here. Having started here as a digital newbie in mid 2004 (although into film for the past 25 years). I have learned so much here that now I am over learning technical digital stuff and I am far more interested in technique and those skills that make me a better photographer. I am even over post processing, but to a lesser extent, and will only look for PP knowledge where I have seen a specific effect I wish to reproduce.

So I do now spend less time here and visit the Digital Darkroom forum and critique forums much more often learning from other people's view of the world.

I do feel a little sorry for the newbies coming through as I feel they will have less access to people like ourselves that have all gone through it before (the digital learning curve that is).

As most have suggested, there is simply not a newbie question asked that can't be answered by doing a search here. Except, if anyone really knows if I will go to hell for looking at the nude forum that would be useful information :)|-<

Bye for now...

Ck out this true story:

In a Costa Rican bar some years ago I had the chance to meet the proprietor who was of recent Chinese ancestry. When I heard him talk Spanish perfectly well along with all its slang, it nearly blew my socks off. If I were blind, I'd swear the guy was Spanish.

You want accent, try the Spanish spoken in Spain. Everything is so slurred one would expect to be dribbled on.

Way of the world - Paul