5d extended iso settings... curious question

trothwell

This probably has no impact whatsoever on life, the universe, or

anything, but I was just curious...

On the 5D, why are the extended ISO settings (L/50 and H/3200) turned

off by default, activated by a custom function?

This seems to me to be something that users would want to have

available all the time, and I don't understand why it would be in a

custom function. Why not always on? Or, why not put, say, ISO 320

into a custom function?

Again, no big deal, just curious if anyone knew. :-) :-)

ISO 50 and ISO 3200 are not "true" ISO settings.

<p>ISO settings between 100 and 1600 are harware settings on the sensor. By changing the ISO, you set the gain of the amplifiers in the sensor (higher ISO = higher gain setting, which makes it more sensitive, but also increases the noise).

<p>ISO 50 is a "trick": the sensor is actually set to ISO 100 and the camera overexposes by 1 stop, and then processes the data that comes from the sensor to compensate for the overexposure. The result is that you loose 1 stop of dynamic range in the highlights.

<p>Likewise, ISO 3200: the sensor is set to ISO 1600 and the camera underexposes by 1 stop, and compensates for this by digital processing. You loose one stop of dynamic range in the highlights.

<p>You can do exactly the same "by hand" if you do this: shoot at ISO 100, deliberately overexpose a stop, compensate for the overexposure on the computer (and vice versa for ISO 3200).

<p>And yes, this is even true if you shoot RAW.

<p>If you want to hear it from a Canon director himself, check out <a href="http://www.digitaljournalist.org/issue0604/westfall.html">Chuck Westfall's Tech Tips</a>:

<p><i>"There is about a stop less dynamic range in the highlights at ISO 50, which is the reason why this setting is normally locked out."</i>