Alien Bees monolight

Hi Everyone,

I am going to be in a position to purchase a new piece of gear later this

month. I am trying to simplify my wedding operation during the formals (using

a Novatron pack/heads setup now) I want to use 1 monolight overhead out of a

softbox or umbrella (and not 2, with cords and such to work around) I hear the

Alien bee's is a good product. If anyone has any other feedback, please let me

know.

You can't go wrong with Alien Bees. Great product and great price, whether buying new or used. The company's service and support is outstanding.

That said, I don't use monolights anymore. A couple SB800s (or the Canon equivalent) and small are powerful enough to bounce out of umbrellas and light up the group, and I already carry them anyways. Something to consuider.

Rich, I was interested in going this route, bouncing SB-800s into umbrellas. I was wondering what is your set-up? I prefer the PJ style and really like your work. How many SB-800s do you use? What goes into a typical set-up? Do you use the wireless CLS? Do you keep a unit on camera, or perhaps the SU-800? What kind of umbrellas, stands, etc? How much do you think the whole set-up would cost? How big of a group can you get in front of it? Do you use back-drops and all the rest? Sorry for all the questions, but this is exactly the kind of thing I've been looking for. Basically I'd like to pick your brain and know everything.

Dan

hi Ken,

I use Alien Bees for studio work, and I HAVE taken them to several weddings. I'm not sure that I get what you meant about not needing cords - the AB's will still need power cords at the very least, even if you have some kind of remote trigger that allows you to do away with the sync cord to your camera. And even the power cords are a concern for me, what with little kids and drunks running around. :)

If you're going to get AB's, I'd say get two to bring to a wedding, because I always find it's better if you light from 45 degree angles from each side to minimize shadows and ensure that everyone in the group gets good facial lighting. But since you do lighting yourself, I know you might have a really cool one-light setup, and that's fine too! :) I just prefer the even lighting on groups that I get with 2 lights.

I bring backdrops, but they're only 6 or 8ft long and you can get small groups only with that backdrop. For larger groups, I find a nice background or wall to use instead of the backdrop.

I love my AB's! They're probably not as sturdy as more expensive lights, but I've been carting them around for several years w/out issues.

I would recommend that you DEFINITELY get their sturdiest stands, even though they cost a bit more $$, b/c those will stand up to heavy softboxes AND give more stability and are less prone to topple over if bumped.

good luck!

Jennifer

Dan --

I only use the umbrellas for indoor formals -- mostly when forced to do altar shots. Pretty straightforward setup: Generally two SB800s on stands with umbrellas on either side of the groups at the standard 45 degree angle. I used to trigger one with an SC-17 cord (actually, two clipped together for extra length). Using PWs now.

I have additional 800s for more complex setups, but I would recommend starting with the above if you choose that route. A pair of 800s also come in hand for creative fill outdoors.

Can't beat the Bees when it comes to value. I still haven't needed the full power of my B800 in my little studio, even when using an umbrella or brolly box. If you just need one, get the B800 unless you really need the power of the B1600. Price is great, they are tough little devils and the included travel bag makes it easy to carry on location. You'll still need to plug in the power cord, unless you buy their Vagabond battery pack. The slave sensor on the top of each unit works well if you don't want to deal with connecting a PC cord. Service and support are great as well. Excellent product.

The Bees are great lights - easy to use and inexpensive for what you get. But the stands, even their sturdiest, are really not very robust. I'd recommend getting heavier-duty stands elsewhere, or at least getting some sandbags to hold down the feet of the stands. I'm always worried about knocking them over when I use mine.

Ab's are very good for me. I thought I would use one for a large group shot a few years ago and they were cheap enough, so I got a 1600. It was very consistent in output and light temp. I used it for a couple of years at gigs where I would sometimes need the huge output. I now own a couple of 800's too and have been very pleased with them. Their consistency (for a cheap light) is second to none. I also have about 4 other brands of strobe but these are my faves for the simplicity and consistency.

Best, D.

I have been using the White lightning, which is the parent company to the Alien Bees for the last 15 years. You will not be disappointed. I have been thinking of picking up a set of Alien bees to use for weddings and leaving the White lightnings in the studio. The Bees weigh about half what the Lightnings do.

Good Shooting to ya !!

Merle

I have used the AB's for two years and have had great results.

The wireless triggers have been somewhat inconsistent, but they have some great features such as the ability to change the output on separate lights REMOTELY-- very handy idea. I spoke to the AB's representatives and they were VERY polite and helpful about the trigger's problems.

They are allowing me a refund or exchange and they also said they are working on a new transmitter that will transmit on a better frequency.

"the AB's will still need power cords at the very least"

That's where the vagabond comes in. For starters, you don't have to worry about where the electrical outlet is located. As a secondary bonus, you don't have power cords stretched out all over the place. Cord runs straight down the stand and into the battery.

I use two ABees with umbrellas at weddings giving great side lighting and making all the difference to the usual in your face on the camera flash that every one else seems to use (badly). I use a 400 and a 800 I find they pack a lot of light and sometimes used dialed right down.