Best was to scan 4X5 negs with Epson 4990?

mad1

Hi,

I have a Epson perfection 4990 and I would like to know if silverfast

6.2 is better than the regular epson scan application... I prefer The

epson prog for now but if the other is better I will learn to use it.

The Real question is: What are the the best settings for the output

file when scanning 4x5... DPI and output size... Thanks very much!

Marc-Andre Dumas

<i>Paul Butzi addresses that very issue here. </i><p>

Paul Butzi addresses a comparison of Silverfast against <b>Microtek</b>, not Epson's provided software as the OP requires.<p>

OTOH Mr. Butzi's site contains so much great information that perhaps I missed a specific reference to Epson and Silverfast.

The Epson software has improved greatly in its current iteration but the full version of

Silverfast is still far superior. If you have the full version, use it; if not and you don't want

to spend the considerable additional money then SE and the Epson software are both ok

but not the preferred. If you do have the full version you should consider adding Studio

for a few more bucks.

In our large format scanning workshops we recommend always scanning for a 100%

output size and then doing any additional manipulation in PS. As for spi we recommend

scanning at the real resolution of the scanner as anything haigher only increases file size

while adding little or nothing in the way of information. For the 4990 that is ~ 2400 spi

actually a bit lower but 2400 works fine. You can also sample at a lower resolution if

youhave difficulty handling the file size that will give you but, again, we believe in making

one master scan that you can use for all purposes later on.

I have and have used the Epson software, Silverfast SE, and Silverfast Ai. Ai is unquestionably the better of the three in the sense that it gives you more options and more control. OTOH, the Epson software isn't bad and is very easy to use so it's a good way to get into scanning if you're new to it. The downside of Silverfast is that IMHO it's not a simple program to learn if you want to use it to its full advantage and the instruction booklet that comes with it isn't much help. I didn't understand many of the controls and how to use them until I bought a book called "Silverfast - The Official Guide" available on Amazon for about $30.

As for your other questions - what Ted said.

Brian, thanks for the advice on the Silverfast book. Unfortunately, the price has apparently gone up. I just ordered a used copy of that book from Amazon for $50. I have Ai6 for my 2450, and plan on getting the V750, which also has Ai6.

I use the 4990, and have used the Espon flatbeds for years to scan 4x5 and 5x7 black and

white (TXP) negatives. I don't understand why people think the Epson software is inferior.

If you use it in Professional mode, it gives excellent scans, and is easy to use, and is

tailored to the scanner, and is free. I scanned all of the images on my site from negatives

using the Epson software.

Maybe Silverfast and Vuescan give flexibility in the handling of color images -- I wouldn't

know about that. But for B+W work, I would not follow the advice to use the other

software packages until you've tried the Epson software and formed your own conclusions

about it.

Sanders McNew (www.mcnew.net)

hehe thx guys and girls for your answers... I Also prefer Epson application but since today it doesn<t works anymore... It says: Unable to import... because a twain thing... I downloaded new version of twain_32.dll that I pasted and I reinstalled the photoshop and the epson driver and progs and still have trouble... I<ve been able to acces Silverfast through photoshop but it scans dark frames... I<m really sad.. My scanner is 1 week old and I need to scan my Costa Rica trip cross process 4x5 sheet films... Someone help plz...

Mad Mad

You only need to check the voltage (that the processor is running at) if you have overclocked it. As you do not know how to check it i suspect you haven't changed anything to the processor. So, i would count this out