Old Lenses with DSLR fun

johnmarkpainter

I posted a while back asking about old "vibe" Lenses.

I bought a few old Pre AI Lenses that had already been converted. A 20/3.5 UD, 2.8cm/N, 35/2 O, 55/

1.2, 55/3.5 Micro, 135/3.5 These lenses are fun (for me anyway). They are all from the 60's and early

70's. Lower contrast and brighter colors.

I still use my modern lenses but the old glass is cool

jmp<div>00HH6u-31144684.jpg.4d6476709878ed2a58bf7b5534eb0f5c.jpg</div>

Yaron,

The 20 is interesting. It is very sharp but lower in contrast. It looks like it has no

Distortion (when viewed Full Frame). That Hyped Green look is weird but cool. I have shot

it next to an AF 20-35/2.8D and a Tokina 12-24 it was like night and day.

It is a look I have seen in lots of old Nikon Photos that I always completely attributed to old

style Films.

Thanks for posting those shots.

I have long suspected that many AI and later lenses have an ever-so-slight amber cast. I simply assumed that normal variations in emulsions, development, scanning, and printing hid this little nit.

The fact that these straight-from-the-sensor images have purer color (to my eye) than many later lens models reinforces my suspicion that the later coatings help contrast, but slightly impair color purity.

Michael,

I am having the 35/2 Nikkor O converted to AI right now. It is one of the Standards so I

am expecting it to be one of my main lenses.

It is nice to see so many people using these lenses. Nikon shooters in general seem to be

all about having the latest and greatest.