POCKET SPOT- The Matchbook sized mini spot meter???

ryan_mcintosh

I am seriously thinking about purchasing one of these "Pocket Spot"

Light meter, but at 450.00 dollars...I want to get some feedback on

it first! Simply, is it worth it?

It can read a lower and higher EV rating then my current spot meter,

it is more durable, SMALLER AND LIGHTER.

Here is a link- http://www.meteredlight.com./spot1.htm

All comments are welcome on this product!

Thanks so much.

Welllllll, their website doesn't work again (you can't get to thte details on the meter) .. this

seems to happen with great regularity. I have looked at these meteers off and on many

times and always end up in the same place.....the "giant" Pentax Digital Spot is actually

quite small when compared to the offerings from Sekonic, Minolta and Gossen (the Gossen

is perhaps the finest instrument out there for spot metering but it is a monster). I have

never actually seen a 'Pocket Spot' nor do I know anyone else who has. My oroblem

without having seen one is that you do reach a point of diminishing returns on size and

the Pentax feels just right. If the settings get much smaller it might be difficult to make

rapid changes, especially when it is below zero and you are wearing gloves or the light is

changing rapidly just at dawn or sunset. I'll stick with the Pentax, simple, robust, easy to

get repaired, etc. BTW, I use a Sekonic 778 as a backup ... a bi tlarger and another great

performer too bad it was discontinued.

Minolta is not that big and fits the hand very well with a good set of functions. Pentax is sort of industry standard and very small and handy. Anything smaller than that would be hard to use in practice. Why pay more for something that is not commonly used and has not proven its accuracy and reliability?

I attended a workshop in 2003 with Gordon Hutchings. He had one of these meters. I used it when he let me try out his Galvin 6x9. It is small and built well. You look through a viewfinder, press the button and read the EV. A dial on the body then gives you the Fstop and shutter speed, same as the Pentax meter. I only shot one roll of film with it, but the negatives were accurately exposed. I used it inside a house in shadows for a 10-20 sec exposure and out in direct sunlight. It was nice and small, but the price seems high. I did buy a Galvin, but found a reasonably priced Pentax meter.

I have a couple and love them. It is wonderfully small. Very accurate and if you drop it, it doesn't need to be re-calibrated for a $100. It costs a little less than a digital Pentax, has more features than the Zone 6 modified meter, and it's more rugged than a Leica.

Their website isn't that good, but their telephone works great.