what would you get for 5d. metz 54mz4 or canon 580ex?

anson_wong

I have (2) 580EX's and generally happy.

One is a first rev that has a weird problem with cropped camera's, but that wouldn't affect you (Full Frame) as they're all good now.

I thought I also read on here that the Metz were generally more money, but better coverage. Slap me if I'm wrong... :)

-Mario

I've got 2 Metz 54MZ3/4's which I use on Canons. Not sure I would buy another as I have had various problems with both flashes. If/when I have to buy another flash I'll buy a 580. But I've never driectly compared the 2 in the field, maybe the grass is just greener...

JJ

For informal portraiture, including portfolio images for wanna be models, I use two 580ex's and the Transmitter ST-E2 on my 20D and 5D, usually firing through white umbrellas. Meets my needs just fine. I've also similarly paired sets of the 420 and 550 with the ST-E2 going back to my Elan7 days. Have kept one of the 420s as a utility outfielder, so to speak.

The metz cannot ETTL II if the flash head is diffused, period. That has put me off it for the 5D eventhough I used 2 as my main flashes when shooting with the 10D and 1Ds in auto mode. I also love using my CP-E3 battery pack with the 580ex for really fast recycle times. The interface and ergonomics of the 580ex are far superior in the real world.

If you have a specific reason to want auto flash with the 5D then the Metz is a great answer. If you intend to shoot ETTL II then it is pretty lame in comparison. I still own both a Metz 54 and a 580ex pending the possible purchase of a Contax G2 that I can use with the Metz and appropriate shoe, but it is on the way out otherwise...