how to pose large wedding groups

tommy_d.1

Hi

Could you please give me some advice on posing large wedding groups.

Usually i would arrange a similar amount of guests either side of the bride and

groom and angle them in, also asking the people on the ends of the group to

come forward slightly to create a curve and the similar line up for large

bridal groups.

Basically it is a staight line or people

I would appreciate any advice especially with sample images on how i can

improve on my technique.

best regards

Tommy

Yeah, it depends on how large a group, and what *kind* of group. Are we talking a large wedding party? A general group of attendants and guests? How formal? If it's a very large group, you definitely won't be able to have them all in a single file, and will want to keep your aperture large enough so everyone is in focus. Also, getting up on a ladder is helpful (or using whatever is available in your surroundings to get you back far enough and up high enough).<div>00HFwY-31116484.jpg.cc7956c8ee884c6d01325a652f22f8af.jpg</div>

Hight is the key. Get above them and tell everyone that if they can't see the camera, it can't

see them : -)

Here's one from this past Saturday's wedding ... literally everyone that attended the

wedding ... to be made into a 72" print...<div>00HGG8-31124484.jpg.cf24461ef9de093c11b0ceb8b9d44454.jpg</div>

Without a height vantage point, I bring the B&G forward so they don't get lost in the line-

up.

Get in close with a wide lens thereby giving emphasis to the main subject, but getting the

crowd in the background.<div>00HGWH-31131084.jpg.ed04bab8887cba64ea942069bf98dfe4.jpg</div>

Hi

Many thanks for your kind replies

I am always looking to improve and add extra dimension to my wedding photography even though people like what i offer.

I was refering to large wedding groups consisting of 50 people or more, when it is not possible to gain some height.

Some nice shape with all your groups, thank you,

and also Gary,nice photograph of bride and groom foremost in your last image, good idea!

Enjoyed looking at your other work too.

best regards

Tommy

For practicality, it's hard to be too picky about posing a large group of people at a wedding.

When the bride & groom want an "all guests" photo, I usually ask if there's a balcony that can

be used, or if a ladder will be available. If neither will be available, you have to do the best

with what you have. I like to have a few reference points and ask guests to stand "between

these two trees" or on a set of stairs, or whatever will give some elevation and shape to the

image. It also helps if you ask all of the children and grandparents to come to the front. If

you can find a large enough spot of open shade, that will work nicely, otherwise you may

have to face them 3/4 into the sun and do the "open your eyes when I count to 3" thing.