Which current version of the Satchel is better today, Safrotto or new Domke?

harvey_edelstein1

Two bags that clone the Domke Satchel are Mekko and Safrotto, I don't

know if they are made by the same maker but how do they compare to the

new Domke Satchels. I heard that the new Domke bags use thinner

canvas than the overseas clones and the original Domke bags. Was this

thin material just limited to the first new Domke stock or are the

current bags still of thinner canvas stock?

I have a bunch of Domke bags and while I was recently bag shopping (for a ThinkTank) I looked at a few Domkes and the canvas quality seems identical to my older bags. One thing about Domke--I've never had a seam blow out or bad stitching or any problem whatsoever. Which is more than I can say for every other brand of bag I've had. The clones may look good now, but I'd bet they fall apart after less than a year of use. I have a 14 year old F-803 satchel that's still going strong.

Sorry, I have to disagree with Barry. My Domke bag had a seam pull out after 3 years of very light use. On close inspection with a loupe it was clear that the original sewing was defective - off track.

At first I was pleased with the bag but as I used it more I realised that the basic design allowed rain to enter and for small pieces to fall out of the closed bag. It failed to perform its basic mission of carrying my gear in safety. Also the metal clip was impossible to undo single-handed so you could never get the camera out in a hurry. Ironically it was an anti-velcro mood that persuaded me to buy the Domke in the first place. The more I lived with the bag the more I realised that ballistic nylon, velcro and zippers were genuinely beneficial advances.

During my moments of nostalgia I thought it was a great bag for my Leica M3 but I now realize that, like the camera, the bag's inefficiencies actually get in the way of taking pictures. Also like the camera, the bag is prone to failure just when you need it most. If your objective is taking pictures then look at more thoughtfully designed products from Lowepro, Tamarac and a host of other manufacturers. If you like the "pro" look then go for either the Domke or its imitators even though my experience is that they are, technically, inferior products on the basis of their design & materials.

I bought an older used black F3x Domke bag, well worn, for $50. I threw it in the wash, cut off the brand tags and it's great. It'll hold one lens and a body and not feel too large, and will also hold 2 bodies, 3-4 lenses, and a flash without running out of room. It's also really non-descript, doesn't look flashy or like it has $3k of camera gear in it.

It's also built like a tank. I can't imagine being able to wear it out.

Well, I don't se how we disagree, James. We just posted our respective experiences. If I had a bag with defective stitching, it would have gone straight back to Domke and I'd guess they would have fixed or replaced it gratis. My experience with their customer service was first rate. I think you can judge the quality based on the number of working photojournalists that used Domke bags for years.

Now the design is another issue entirely. Although I've really enjoyed the bags for non-digital gear, I find that the designs are somewhat lacking for digital gear. The bags are definitely not sealed to the elements and the padding is not very good at protecting the LCD. Also the pockets aren't so good at holding small items for easy retrieval. Unfortunately Tiffen seems to have completely stopped updating the current line and developing new products. I think the're just trying to milk the product line without spending any development money. So the bags have been falling out of favor faced with the competition of other companies that have active design departments.

With all the pros that swear by Domke, at least in the olden days I thought I would get a clearer indication of:

A} Has the thickness of the canvas or construction been downgraded in the latest new Domke bags.

B] The Safrotto claims to be using better materials, heavier gauge canvas, improved stitching thread weight and bigger zippers. Has anyone checked out first hand how the bags compare to their claims.

It is always nice to get better for less money, can anyone give us the scoop.

I recently bought a Safrotto bag (in the style of the Domke 804, which isn't sold any more AFAIK) for cheap on ebay. I love it, though after a week of heavy loading a seam came loose on the front upper edge. Local cobblery fixed it for $10 better than original. I also have a Domke F2 and if there's a difference in the construction quality, my knowledge of sewing and canvas is not enough to tell them apart.