Canon 9950f - noticable artifacts with FARE with examples...

I recieved a new Canon 9950f last night and immediately made a test scan to see what

would happen. I scanned a 4X6" color print at the maximum resolution (1200dpi) and

noticed immediately that there were artifact issues when FARE was turned on. Is this the

way it is or am I missing something? I have not tried a negative or slide as yet and I am

hoping this is an anomaly. If it is how FARE performs then it is completely useless; worse

yet it hurts more than it helps.

Anyone have thoughts? Here are examples, the artifact areas are within the white boxes.

Thanks!

MH

Mendel...

Thanks for your question...I guess it isn't immediately apparent. If you look in the white

boxes, any of the shadow areas have blotchy areas that appear like sharpening

artifacts...they are not. If you look at the big box to the left, there is a cable running up

and down through the image...it goes black against the black area and develops a white

edge. In the right of that box you will also see a series of circular artifacts. In the image

on top, look in the shadow behind the front wheel of the car and the shadow area just in

front of the rear wheel. See what I mean? If you look you will see them. And they do

show up in the printed image.

I have attached a full view of the scene for what it is worth. The artifacts pepper the entire

image, these examples are to give the basic idea.

What do you think?

Best,

MH