Good Photo spots in Southeast

daniel_neff

Hi all,

New to the forum, looks like there is lots of good stuff here.

I will be taking a long road trip, with my wife and son, this

summer. We will be going from Maine, south through New Jersey, then

down through Virginia, the Carolinas, to Jacksonville FL, over to

Alabama...then back through Atlanta, the Carolinas...an so forth.

I plan to take A LOT of pictures with my new Canon EOS 20D (average

1-2 Gig per day). I was wondering if anyone who has traveled that

stretch, or lives along the way, who could suggest some must-see

picture spots that I could stop at. They can't be too far off the

beaten path (unless it is some spectacular waterfall or gorge or

something. I would make an exception for something special) as we

will be on somewhat of a schedule.

For example, if someone were traveling to Maine, I could give you

a lot of really neat spots to visit...waterfalls, lighthouses,

scenic highways,...to take pictures.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks<div>00CHxs-23684084.thumb.jpg.0becb5aa718509a21de77bd0dd2e0241.jpg</div>

Daniel,

You have quite a project in front of you -- that's a lot of miles that you plan to cover. I don't see how you will take so many pictures and still be able to make any progress towards your destination.

It would be helpful to know a little about your photographic preferences, but in general here's what you will face in Virginia.

You can approach the Eastern Shore from New Jersey, either at the northern end or by ferry from Cape May to Lewes. This area a very popular because it has so much to offer the visitor. For nature photogs Bombay Hook NWR and Assateague Island National Seashore are must see destinations. But you should also see St Michael's and perhaps drop down to Crisfield, MD and take the ferry to Smith Island. There may also be some Indian Pow-wows held during the summer. As you go further south the penninsula gets narrower and there are many scenic spots on either side. You would then take the bridge tunnel to Virginia Beach.

On the Virginia Beach side there are many things to do. Try the Norfolk Harbor cruise for a close up and personal look at our current fleet, at least the half that is resting up before redeployment. Norfolk Naval Station is big and getting bigger. You can take either I64 or the scenic routes west toward the Charlottesville and Monticello and then onto the Shenandoah Valley. Depending on your tastes you have rolling farmland, the Blue Ridge Mountains, many quaint and scenic little villages, Virginia Military Institute, and lots, lots more. Friday night in Floyd, VA is Bluegrass night and is worth looking into if your are any near there on a Friday.

South from Virginia you will approach the Smokey Mountains and both the Carolina and Tennessee sides are really neat. On you way back, if you are coming north on I81 through the Shenandoah there are many nice side trips to look into. The mountains to the west of the valley are very scenic although late summer is not their best time (Spring and Fall are best). Much Civil War stuff along the Shenandoah. As you get to the northern end of the valley, Haper's Ferry is a must. The area abounds in interesting small towns like Shepardstown which is a small college town but is quite pretty and sits right on the Potomac River.

It's hard to be more specific without knowing more. There are, for example, covered bridges in Virginia as well as many waterfalls, but I don't know whether these would be of interest to you or not. There are also many national forests, parks, and other things like the National Arboretum and the National Aquatic Garden (both in Washington DC). Some things like civil war reenactments or the hot air balloon races are date specific so you would have to maintain some kind of timetable to attend them.

Accommodations in the best places fill up early in the year around here so that's another thing you should take into account.

Good luck on your trip

Mike S

Mike and Christian,

Thanks so much for the feedback.

I don't know that I'd have time to take in a lot of waterfalls, especially if hikes are included, but I'll check out the website.

Accomodations are not an issue as we will be staying with family and friends pretty much the whole trip.

I'm not much into Civil War stuff, but I would be interested in photographing things like that and Indian ceremonies.

You're absolutely right about the issue of being able to take a lot of pictures. That will be a struggle. We aren't on a real tight schedule, but our host houses are all about a days drive apart (6-10 hours). On the shorter days, we could detour for pictures and still have a reasonable days drive, but on the long days, I'm afraid scenic overlooks are about it (maybe one quick spot close to the interstate). My best bets will probably be the spots where we stop for 1-4 days.

That would be:

South Alabama, Atlanta area, Hickory NC, and Southern New Jersey (Atlantic City area). Sorry I wasn't more specific, thanks for pointing that out.

Covered bridges would be great! Waterfalls also, but not if they are way off the beaten path (as waterfalls usually include a pretty good hike. I might consider that if I were alone, but with my wife and 6 year old son, long hikes take a long time).

I tried searching on the internet, after plotting the route on a map, but wasn't having much success. I thought asking people who live there or traveled there would be more help.

Our initial routing will take us from South Jersey, down to Aiken SC, via I-95 and I-20.

From Aiken, we are driving to Jacksonville FL. That is a short drive, so we would have time to detour for photos. Maybe down through Savannah and/or Brunswick?

From Jacksonville, we head west on I-10, then at Crestview, up to Andalusia AL. That trip is short enough to sidetrack for interesting photo ops. We will be in South Alabama for about 5 days, and I plan to head down to the Gulf coast at least one morning for early morning light...either Destin or Seaside.

From Andalusia, we head to Atlanta area (probably staying south, in Manchester). I lived in the Atlanta area for about 6 years, but any suggestions would be helpful. I wasn't doing any photography at the time, so I wouldn't necessarily be aware of great photo spots there.

Our next stop is Hickory NC. We will have one extra day there, so any covered bridges, scenic areas, quaint villages, etc. would be appreciated.

We then plan to stop just south of DC, and take in DC for a day. It will probably be midweek. Is it possible to drive into DC and park somewhere (preferably near the Mall and Capitol Building), or do you pretty much have to take the subway. Between carrying camera gear and having our 6 year son along, we might pass if we had to ride the subway in (though our son is the reason we want to see DC (my wife and I have been there before).

From there, we will be going to South Jersey, where we will be for a long weekend. Cape May is one spot I want to photograph. Anything in particular I should look for there? Any spots in South Jersey that are must-see?

Thanks again for the info, I will try to include any other details that might be helpful.

If you are not in any hurry, you could take <a href="http://www.nps.gov/blri/">Blue Ridge Parkway</a> and Skyline Drive through VA and NC. 574 miles of scenic and historic views. I did this a couple of years ago heading north from

<a href="http://www.nps.gov/grsm">Great Smokey Mountains NP </a>

and ending with <a href="http://www.nps.gov/shen">Shenandoa NP</a>.

<p>

--John

Hi,

I live in the Jacksonville area now and if you are interested, there is the Okefenokee Swamp just north of Jax, (35-40 min drive). Gators, birds, old homestead, boat trips... Check out the National Wildlife Refuge web page on it. If you like old Forts, check out Fort Clinch just north of Jax in Fernandina Beach, History and some nice photos of an old fort. A1A between Jax and Fernandina Beach is very scenic and there are some beaches there also, Big/Little Talbot Islands State Parks, Huegnot Memorial Park, and you can drive on some of the beaches in that area too.

In NC I would visit Pisgah National Forest, Between US-276 and I-40, very scenic and some waterfalls just off of the road. Also in NC/TN is the Great Smokey Mt Nat Park, and in there is Cades Cove, Black Bear and Deer, and they have an old historic settlement there, numerous waterfalls also and very scenic again. You also have the Blue Ridge Parkway to drive, although it is somewhat slower than the interstates.

DC, I lived there for 4 years and I WOULD NOT recommend driving into the city. Park in Va, Crystal City and take the Metro in, it (the metro) is very clean and safe and will drop you off right on the Mall, cheap also. In DC you have all of the Monuments, White House, Capitol and the Smithsonians all within walking distance.

I hope this helps out some and if you have the time Charleston SC is very scenic also and so is the drive from I-81N to I-77N into WV to I-64N back into Va, a side trip to the New River Gorge, in Fayetteville WV, is worth it also.

Hope this helps out some and give you some options. M. Arrow

I've been to the Smokies and Cades Cove before, most recently 8 years ago on our honeymoon. I wasn't planning to delay in that area, but to drive from the Atlanta area to friends' house in Hickory. Now that you mentioned it, I'm thinking it would be worth the time to stop over in that area. As a matter of fact, I have family in Murphy. Thanks for the ideas. Any specific waterfalls or scenic overlooks that are must-photograph?

Since you'll be driving through Richmond, Va, you may want to check out Hollywood Cemetery. Before you think "huh?", it is a huge cemetery with several presidents buried there. But what is really cool are the dozens of elaborate stone statues, tombs, and other sculptures. Just google "hollywood cemetery, va" and you will get lots of hits.