Leica's future - the CEO speaks....

OK, we all scan it to see what it says about the Digital-M. It comes near the end, and in that

weird business-speak which I never understood he says, 'However, I can assure you already

that the product we are creating is something really special and will give the company a lot of

tailwind.'

What does that mean?

<i>Undoubtedly, the innovation with the greatest potential for the company is the development of a digital rangefinder camera. We are planning to launch it in the second half of this year. We have already announced that it will be a �real� Leica rangefinder camera in terms of weight, size, material and design, with the decisive difference that it will take digital photos. All the originality and fascination of Leica M photography will then be available to the digital world. It was important for us to follow the principle of system compatibility. Nearly all the lenses of the Leica M system ever since its introduction in 1954 can also be used for digital photography.<p>

However, I will not give any further details on the name, price and availability of the product today. We have learned from past experience and only make statements when they can be relied upon a hundred per cent. However, I can assure you already that the product we are creating is something really special and will give the company a lot of tailwind. At the present there are no more points in the product development process that seem unsolvable. We are well on the way to being ready to market a technically extremely sophisticated product.</i>

Al is correct, although in the future tense rather than present. The Digital-M will give Leica's operating income a kick equivalent to the shuttle's solid boosters.

I think the business-speak is futher complicated by translation - there is a quirk in German/Dutch-to-English regarding the word "already" (shows up in E. Puts' translations also), which I think in some settings should be translated "now" to sound right to English-speakers...

Since Niepce produced the first stable photograph in the 19th century we have been content to work with chemical imaging in all of it's forms for many years.

We are now in a period of significant change: from chemical imaging to digital imaging.

This is a major transition and is causing considerable distress as evidenced by the endless film vs digital posts on internet photo forums.

I use film and digital, and my position has been to "chill" and embrace the changes. Sit back, watch what's happening, and adjust.

I still do not think that film and chemical imaging will be totally lost, for now, but will need to adjust with the changes rapidly indroduced with digital imaging.

However, I do think that film imaging will eventually vanish, (Let's face reality!), and even digital photography may be replaced by something totally different in the future that we can not even imagine.

I think we need to watch-and-wait, flex with these changes, and enjoy what we do now photographically as long as it lasts.

Seems to me that the future of Leica is quite bright. They have made all the right moves, especially, "モThe intensification and optimization of the content of our partnership with the Japanese Matsushita Group is a key goalモ The reviews of their Lumix digital cameras have been extremely positive, with only one reservation, the chip being used. If the next generation chip they put in these Lumix cameras eliminates the so-called noise problem, they are poised to blow away all the competition. They are selling well already with this problem. I recently bought their new TZ1 Lumix with the new lens design that zooms from 35mm to 350mm. It fits easily into the case I use for my M6 and 2 lenses and complements the Leica quite well. The photos from it are stunning and barely need any color correction in PS, just levels. When I get time, I'll be sharing some interesting photos I took in Europe with it. Only for US $300-$350, it simply cannot be beat for what it is designed for. The Leica designed lens (I assume, it has their name on it), is outstanding. How are they going to get me to add a $ 4,000 body for my existing M lenses when they are producing Lumix cameras of such quality? The answer will have to be the quality of the upcoming Leica digital when used with Leica lenses. Otherwise, they will become a lens designer and manufacturer for Panasonic. Not a bad business either if Panasonic figures out a way to dominate the $300-$500 digital camera market.

Seems to me that the future of Leica is quite bright. They have made all the right moves, especially, "モThe intensification and optimization of the content of our partnership with the Japanese Matsushita Group is a key goalモ The reviews of their Lumix digital cameras have been extremely positive, with only one reservation, the chip being used. If the next generation chip they put in these Lumix cameras eliminates the so-called noise problem, they are poised to blow away all the competition. They are selling well already with this problem. I recently bought their new TZ1 Lumix with the new lens design that zooms from 35mm to 350mm. It fits easily into the case I use for my M6 and 2 lenses and complements the Leica quite well. The photos from it are stunning and barely need any color correction in PS, just levels. When I get time, I'll be sharing some interesting photos I took in Europe with it. Only for US $300-$350, it simply cannot be beat for what it is designed for. The Leica designed lens (I assume, it has their name on it), is outstanding. How are they going to get me to add a $ 4,000 body for my existing M lenses when they are producing Lumix cameras of such quality? The answer will have to be the quality of the upcoming Leica digital when used with Leica lenses. Otherwise, they will become a lens designer and manufacturer for Panasonic. Not a bad business either if Panasonic figures out a way to dominate the $300-$500 digital camera market.

Leica ought to do what Zeiss did. Move operations to Japan. The Zeiss lenes made by Cosina are very good and cheaper that Leica lenses. The Zeiss 85/2 and 15/2.8 made in Germany are insanely overprices, especially the 85/2, however good it is. Why? Not "labor costs" but probably overpaid CEOs. Maybe outdated assembly processes.

Leica has the perfect partner in Panasonic. It is a company with its own agenda and is guaranteed to stay out of Leica's hair (unlike Minolta in the old days) and has super state of the art technology.

Let Solms be the research center and Japan be the factory.

They might start producing more rational electronic film cameras as well as digital Ms. How about a Leica M that has a swing-open back. (There was an experimental swing-open backed M6 on auction for the price of a truck-load of mint M7s.) How about an M that is ready to go the moment you switch it on and one that switches itself off? The CLE did that back in 1980.

What will be the market for the digital M? A very costly body built to last forever but the technology is in a constant state of evolution. Someone had the idea of a cheap material body, ala Nikon or Canon like, which makes sense to me as it would reduce the cost and hence increase the sales. Some folks may be reluctant to pay the $$$$ for the Leica body where it may be obsolete technology-wise 18 months out.

Bob,

I agree that if costs can be lowered by a cheaper body, it should be to lower the price point. But how many MPs do we really need in 35mm systems? At 10mp, it may not keep up with Canon or Nikon, but it will pretty much take care of most needs for 35mm.

"'However, I can assure you already that the product we are creating is something really special and will give the company a lot of tailwind.'

What does that mean?"

It means we all better pray Leica finally found a CEO who knows heads from tails :*)

Thomas T , jul 07, 2006; 11:14 a.m. wrote:

<br>> I agree that if costs can be lowered by a cheaper body, it

<br>> should be to lower the price point. But how many MPs do we

<br>> really need in 35mm systems? At 10mp, it may not keep up

<br>> with Canon or Nikon, but it will pretty much take care of

<br>> most needs for 35mm.

<br>

<br>10mp is fine imo BUT I would really lust after an upgrade if noise-free ISO1600 became available, or the dynamic range was increased to b/w film levels or beyond. For that matter, I'd also be interested in an upgrade if an affordable 135 format chip became available. In short, there are other reasons for upgrading besides MP.

<br>

<br>larsbc

Leica starts with the image and works back. How much technology do you need to make an 8 X 10? As a film camera, they've been "out of date" since the 1960's. All they need to do is migrate their quality and their fit and finsh to a digital tool and they are done.

It might be interesting to see Leitz work with Adobe or some other company to produce an image manipulation plug-in for their digital images. Idel thought...Maybe it isn't needed, really.

"It might be interesting to see Leitz work with Adobe or some other company to produce an image manipulation plug-in for their digital images. Idel thought...Maybe it isn't needed, really."

Does the plug-in get delivered on a gold disc or platinum? and does it come shrink-wrapped inside a box that's available in a choice of black or chrome?

"Does the plug-in get delivered on a gold disc or platinum? and does it come shrink-wrapped inside a box that's available in a choice of black or chrome?"

Leica produces high end cameras, lenses, accessories, binoculars, projectors, and other equipment. What do the leica bashers on this site produce? I guess there major output is sarcasm, and not very witty sarcasm at that. IMO, what Leica's CEO has to say is a lot more interesting and informative. But that's just my opinion.