Metz 60 CT-4 Applications: thanks Michael and Jim

jack_a

Michael, Jim and of course Nadine thank you very much for your

responses and advice regarding the use of the Metz 60 CT-4 strobe

with the Nikon D-200; you just saved me approx. $1600-$3200 in new

strobes and powerpacks (I wasn't sure whether to purchase one or two

of the new Metz 76 MZ-5s and power packs)!!! WOW...Now I can buy a

second D-200 for backup and/or more "glass". :-)

If any of you read this, just to reiterate, I can use the Metz 60 CT-

4 on the Nikon D-200 by mounting the camera and stobe on a

stroboframe bracket, connect sinc and power cords, set the Metz (in

auto mode) to the desired ISO and f-stop (match the settings on the

D-200) and take a picture the same as I would with my Nikon or

Mamiya film cameras? THANKS

Well it is a GREAT strobe (the 60) and there is talk that Metz may come out with a TTL dedicated attachment for the Nikons. Is it worth the weight? I prefer the SB 800. You can always change the ISO to make up for the power difference. I actually had 3 Metz 60 strobes and I do not miss them!

Jack,

I assume you already have the Metz flash. If so, borrow and place an SB-800 on your D200 camera shoe, and use SB-800 to trigger your Metz by connecting Metz pc sync cord to the auxiliary socket on the SB-800 body. Direct Metz to ceiling or wall (if white) to provide dispersed "flash ambient" light, and make SB-800 your main light. This way you can use full iTTL benefits of the SB-800, and the power of Metz to brovide bounced lighting. Of course your Metz will overpower SB-800 if used differently.

The best setup is to use SU-800 as a commander, and 2 or 3 SB-800 as main, modelling or side, and backdrop lighting. In dynamically changing environment you may need to have a helper or two to run around with remote flashes on monopods or just hand held. (sounds craizy ?)

Metz and SB-800 can get heavy, 2 flashes mounted on your camera, Metz handle mount type, and SB-800 shoe mount, and a big lens. You will be amazed by the results, though you could sometimes overexpose, in very small rooms, since SB-800 does not control the Metz, but only triggers it. In this setup Metz need to be in Manual vari-power, and the amount of power needs to be selected for the size of the room. Most ceilings are white color.

Frank,

Thanks for the tips! I have not yet purchased the D-200; my original questions were on switching from Nikon FM-2s to digital, Nikon D-200 vs Canon 30D, decided on Nikon D-200, then which lens or lenes were best for wedding photography, decided on the Nikon 17-55 f-2.8 DX, then which strobe is best; Nikon's sb-800 vs. Metz 76 MZ-5 vs. Metz 60 CT-4. I usually mount my Nikon FM-2 and Metz 60 on a stroboframe bracket, adjust the Metz ISO and f-stop settings(in auto mode) to the corresponding ISO and f-stop settings on the Nikon FM-2, focus and shoot. The results seem pretty good to me. I have never used TTL or Nikon's iTTL so don't know the advantages. Maybe you can share your opinion and give me some advice. Thanks

Jack, I have a couple of Metz 60's and I have to admit that I would not use them for your intended application. Your life would be made much easier with a ttl flash. I'm not a Nikin user so can't comment on the pro's and cons of their flashes but I use metz 54MZ3 and 4's on Canon gear. I find using the 60's is quite a battle at times, compared to the convenience of ttl.

JJ

• 3 months later...

Hello, just curious all the comments using a ttl flash is better. If I am not mistaken the 60's are ttl with an SCA adapter. The adapters are cheap enough and available on Ebay and from KEH. So with the 60's you have the option of using manual, auto or ttl flash depending on your needs. I have both two 60's and a 45 and have found them to be exceptional flash units.

Take care.

Roman