if you had

gary_halmich

How much camera experience do you have? How wide and how long do you need the lenses to be? Which of wide or tele is going to be the most important for you? How much weight are you willing to carry? How large do you want to print? Are you willing to carry several lenses?

Some advice: don't try to buy as much camera as your budget will allow. Do not fall for the megapixel trap if that prevents you from buying good glass. Do not spend everything right away, you'll need some accessories as time goes.

A D50 with a 18-200VR might do just fine for you. Higher in the budget, I'd consider a 30D with a 17-40, 50/1.8, 70-200/4 or 70-300IS. A 5D is definitely way out of your budget. Higher, D200 with a 18-70 and Sigma 70-200/2.8.

Personally, I bought a B&J press camera with three lenses, film holders, light meter, tripod, film, and some books on how to use it all. Then you book a gorgeous model for a very very long photo session, she's for free so I still have $3000 left........

Alternatively, you could buy a Mamiya DTL1000 35mm slr with three primes, a tripod, film, and still have $3300 left.

Or if you must then blow it all on the camera and two fast primes.

It's your money, if you have it. What camera you buy makes no difference whatsoever. I prefer people to cameras, so I see the person first, the light second, the lens next, and the camera comes last.

The bottom line is, what do you want to photograph, and what camera and lenses can help you do that?

Cheers.

Though I like Jean's advice and choices, if you are going to blow it all in one place and need another Canon configuration...

Canon 20D + EF 17-85 f/4-5.6 USM IS $1580: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=372827&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 USM $690: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=351542&is=USA&addedTroughType=search

Canon EF 70-200 f/4L USM $545: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=183198&is=USA&addedTroughType=search

Leaves you with about $600 left over for tripod and accessories. Pros: good beginner kit covers (35mm equiv) 16mm - 320mm with three lenses, all decent glass. (70-200 f/4L is excellent.) 17-85 is a perfect vacation/walk around lens. Cons: two EF-S lenses that will not work on future full frame. All zooms which are slower than primes and not always optically as good.

The excellent list Daniel provided should be more than enough for most situations. Although, I'd also be tempted to get some if not all of that gear used on ebay, save some $$$. Lenses are a great buy used and perhaps a good dslr can also be got that way.

Cheers.

Since you're wanting to do wide-angle shooting, I'd try to get a Canon 5D, possibly used or grey market since a new one is $2,800 at best. Of course the price might come down in the next few months, so if you aren't in a hurry, you might be able to afford one by waiting a bit.

The reason for the 5D is it has a full-frame CCD, which means it won't be multiplying the focal length of your lenses the way cheaper DSLRs with 3/4-frame CCDs do. On most DSLRs, a 35mm functions closer to a 50mm, for example, because of the multiplication factor, which limits your ability to shoot wide angle. Of course that becomes a bonus when shooting telephoto, because your long lenses act as if they're even longer.

Unless you want to shoot film, and then $3,500 will get you a very sweet outfit. Quite nearly the pick of the litter.