Leica M4 or better?

I own a couple of M4 Leica bodies and several lenses. I want to

purchase a third body and ͠am not sure whether I should go with

another M4 or something different. I am not wanting to buy anything

newer than the M4. My question is if there is anything better than a

M4.

There were a few very minor bugs in very early M4 producion. After that it was the high point of Leicadom! If the slightly slower loading/rewinding of an M3 is a liveable thing the higher magnification viewfinder is nice with lenses from 50 to 135mm.

Better than an M4? In what universe? ;-)

As Al wrote, the only possible improvement would be the M3's higher magnification finder. But you can get the 1.25x magnifier, and not have to deal with the slow film loading. I would only consider an M3 if you could live without the 35mm frame lines in the viewfinder.

Any M2, M3, or M5 is roughly equal in production quality to the M4. Some will tell you the later M cameras (serial numbers 1 million and above) through the M5 production are the best Ms ever produced. The M5 is of course is larger, but some argue it has the best meter.

If you're used to the M4 loading system, rewind mechanism, and standard M size, you may want to stick with your inclination to only another M4.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

I have been looking for a quality M3 or M4 but I have had no luck so far. I found a M5 and it looked and felt like a piece of garbage. Since Leica is going under soon, I thought I should grab another body. Once Leica is gone, bless its soul, I figure prices will either rise or fall. I do not want to take any chances. They are difficult enough to find. The newer models, after the M4, are all junk, in my opinion.

Well, if I have the money. I would get a .85 mag M6 or M7, and the low .58 mag . But, the M3 is a very good idea. Better yet, why don't sink in some money in some or a really good lenses?

CD, Bob thinks the newer Leica cameras stink. So did the lamented Andy what'shisname (2/2 bad cameras, try and find the thread). BTW, it was my CLAed M4 shutter broke in Russia, OK, I know the shutter is usually not changed during the CLA, but it should've been inspected and lubed. My 19-year old at the time (2003), never touched by a tech., was, and is still going strong. I know, it's anecdotal, but I don't go poking around the insides of various cameras to see that fine craftmenship. Most of the web info are from fondlers and testers anyway; for example: why wouldn't a plastic material be appropriate for a frame counter, or what advantage is top plate engravings, including a film plane indicator or making parts that actually fit and not adjust? I use Leica for the lenses, and put up with the bodies. They are not small or light enough for me, but I have little choice. The metered CLE/M6/M7 are much better tools for photography, once one learns the meter (ALL meters must be learned, even handheld ones), IMHO. I started out with an M3 and black paint M4 when I started working on the road in 1990. They never failed (it was a chrome M4 that failed in Russia). My close focus (my eyes) started to fail by the year 2002, so I needed reading glasses to read my Weston Master V unless the ambient light was very bright. I can read news print only in bright shadows or above.

Finally, If I wanted the finest M, internal constructionwise (of course serial number over 1-million, even though it's been proved that young women are more dexterious), not functionwise (I like 35s)/convenientwise (I like quicker loading) , it would be an M3 for its superior VF, then I get a quick-load kit installed.

Bob, why do you need three bodies? Do you hate changing lenses as much as I do? You can get the VF Mag. for one camera, as I did.

I have been dropping in for almost a month Manfred. All I have seen here are Leica is closing down and Leica is dead threads, along with Leica prices are rising, Leica prices are dropping. Now I want to get a third body before the world gets blown up. Are you with me?

I got an M3 while my M4 was with Sherry for CLA. Big mistake. Immediately loved the larger viewfinder (although it's a pain not to have 35 mm frames) since I tend to shoot at large apertures a lot (I love 100 film) and I even have a Noctilux.

Shutter release felt different than my M4, but better. I had the M3 converted to M4 loading. Button rewind doesn't bother me. Bottom line is, I now use my M3 more than my M4, although my M4 "sings" after the CLA. I just need to get a good 35 mm viewfinder for my 35/1.4 Asph-- anyone got a viewfinder to sell?

Before I got my M3, I was hesitated with it, the 0.91x finder is less useful than my M2 in using wide angle lens, I don??t like the look of the top plate - there is a small rectangular box and screw on the front side.

After I got it, it became my favorite body and I use it mostly with 50mm lens. The solid feeling of the body and the smoothness of film advance is the best comparing with other Ms. I reconfirm this feeling after I have acquired a M4 body; I don??t like the plastic on the crank-arm, the spinning rewinding knob. If you can live with the film loading mechanism of M3, I think M3 could be a good choice.

Peter, they are $1,150 each (shipped to US lower 48). One of them is in perfect mechanical condition, does not need a CLA. The other one's slow speeds are off, but it is in mint- condition (and the black case is included).