Manfrotto tripod/head selection

jani_k

I'm buying my first tripod, yes really, I have been shooting handheld and with

Manfrotto Monopod. So I'm little confused when searching right compination.

This is what I have in mind:

Classic Tripod 055CL (Lightweight Pro Tripod)

with Manfrotto Compact Ball Head or Midi Ball Head

I will be shooting sightseeings, art, landscapes.. and my equipment is Canon

30D with wide angle to tele lenses.

Because this is my first tripod any comments on tripod/head selection would be

useful.

Jani

I'll post a reply not because I profess to know much about this but I was in the same boat 2 years ago,

I bought a Manfrotto MN55 proB and a miniball head. No complaints about the legs, they do everything I want and are sturdy (I was advised to get the heaviest / sturdiest tripod that I was prepared to carry) which is ok as it lives in the boot (trunk) of my car mostly. The ball head is flexible but I think if I did it again I would get a quick release version as the screw lock/release can be bothersome (some models move until you release a grip then they lock) And for landscape I now always carry a spirit level block that fits into the hot shoe adaptor... If it were just landscape I did then the finer adjustment of one plane at a time would be nice.

Good Luck

Cheers Ian

Don't really know how long your longest tele lens is, but hhere are my suggestions (assuming you are not shooting super tele lenses):

Head

If you have the time to setup, get a 3-way head with a fluid level, since you're shooting non-moving objects. IMHO, you're better off getting one with an Arca-Swiss type quick release base versus the Manfrotto hexagonal base, but that may just be a personal preference.

If you'd prefer a ballhead, get an Arca Swiss, Kirk, RRS, Markins or Acratech -- as to which one depends on your need for size and your budget.

Legs

If you have the budget, get a Gitzo (I've borrowed a couple and they are great). I have a Bogen 3221, which I like when weight is not an issue. I have just ordered a Feisol CT-3402 for lighweight needs. If I were in the market for legs, and weight is not a constrint but budget is, I would look at the heavier Feisol tripods.

Good luck.

KL

What you suggest is fine so long as you're not using big telephotos to shoot bird or sports or similar. Actually you might, if you plan to carry this a lot and you're not tall, you might want to think about the slightly smaller 190 legs to save half a kg. and a few pennies. Whichever, try to get one with the flip-over leg locks because they're easier on the hands/faster than the butterfly screws some versions come with.

I'm sure either of the heads will be fine , again assuming you're not going to put a 400mm lens on it or a huge L zoom. You'll get a slightly wider range of QR plates for the 488 (midi)- I use one of these with a hexagonal head on my medium format gear and whilst its quite big and clunky I prefer a larger plate since I seem to be able to engage it in the head more easily/more certainly.

If you can get to a stockist it would be helpful to try the different leg locks/sizes/QR plates.

Thank you all very much.

I do not have very heavy tele just 300mm so weight is not that big thing.

David, Just checked that the store I buy my equipment have midi ball head only with QR plates so as Ian said maybe that QR plate is the right wawy to go.

Do you think I'm ok with ball head or do I need three way head? What are the main differences?

And what about 055CL vs 055Pro, Is that horizontal setting useful?

Jani

Buy a tripod with your height AND your lens tonnage in mind. Tripods are at their most stable when not fully extended, so buy a bit taller than your are. The 055 with the horizontal option(Pro)is nice and costs only a bit more than the standard 055. I like the Manfrotto 486-488RC2 heads, along with the 322RC2.

I'd go with the "Midi" ball head - the 488 as it has a separate panning base, compared to the Compact. The 3030 pan/tilt head is comparable in price to the compact ball and while bulkier, you may find it easier to use in some ways when doing landscapes. It's a very good performer for it's price range. If your subject matter is more varied, most people find a ball head faster to position.

Buy the tallest legset you can so that you don't have to raise the center column if you don't have to. That means basically buy the biggest tripod you are actually willing to carry. Reality and Practicality are worth much more than theory. The best tripod is the one you have with you.

As for heads, I absolutely second the recommendation for the 322RC2. It's a ball head with a grip handle that sticks out the side. You squeeze the handle and rotate your camera wherever you want it and simply release the handle to lock it in place. I have used a bunch of heads before and this one is fantastic. Yes, there are better heads out there, but none comes close in the price range. I use this head with my Bronica ETRS medium format camera, prism, and 150mm lens and have never had any problem whatsoever.

I actually purchased this head so that I could quickly flip the camera up for verticals. That alone made it worth the price. In the field it's awesome. I no longer have to adjust my leg set for uneven ground (within reason) as I can simply position the camera level whatever the angle of the legs to the horizon. Best hundred dollars I have spend. Period.

You may laugh, but try a leg set from Amvona. (The low cost Ebay tripods.) The head you will get is absolute garbage, but the legs are better than any Manfrotto/Bogen for twice the price. Take off the head and plop your Manfrotto 322RC2 right on.

• 5 months later...
Revisiting this thread 6months on, The Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip Action Ball Head was a top piece of advice, it's a superb piece of egineering with a quick release plate included (one less excuse not to get the tripod out)... only downside now is that I need a new tripod bag). It has slightly less mobility than the mini ball (which you notice when the centre column is mounted horizontally ).. but it's nothing you can't solve with a bit of lateral thinking