D200 or 70-200 VR? *** D70 upgrade - what first?

miguel nazario

What would you buy first? I use a D70 mainly for landscape, portrait and city

photography, and I�m not sure what do buy first � D200 or 70-200 vr.

D200 have a bigger viewfinder and LCD, Mirror Lock-up, better sensor, MF lens

mettering, stronger� in the other hand the 70-200 is a very nice piece of

glass, and probably will last longer than the D200. What would you do? Thanks

The lens first. I view it like the difference between an N80 and an F100. You won't see any difference in picture quality, it's just nicer to use. The 70-200 will be with you for decades, the D200 will be replaced by the D*** in a couple of years. Those are my thoughts.

I'd disagree with David C, you will certainly see an improvement in image quality going from the D70 to the D200, provided you have good glass (the D200 is quite brutal on poor lenses).

My recomendation is conditional, depending on what lenses you have. If you need the 70-200 range and you don't have anything reasonable in that range (like an 80-200, 70-210 or a good 70-300), get the 70-200, otherwise you'll probably get more benefit from the D200.

Comparisons with film bodies are not appropriate. With film SLRs, it is the same film regardless of whether you are using the most expensive or cheapest body, not so with DSLRs.

Miguel, are you unhappy with the results from your D70, such as when makeing huge prints, or with its lack of features, such as no metering with no-CPU lenses? If you are generally happy with the D70 although you can use something better, I would get the lens first, especially if you don't already have something like, e.g., a 80-200mm/f2.8.

Sounds like you don't really have a known need for the zoom lens. Or do yoy already have a zoom that covers a similar FL range?

If you plan to get both eventually, get the D200 first. You can make do with your current zoom.

If you can only get one over the other na/dor do not have a lens that covers this FL range, then get the lens.

Shun, do you really think that 6 vs 10 is that much different? I'm sorry but I don't think so. The comparison to the differences between the N80 and F100 are valid. The only diff is that the F100 viewfinder is a lot better than the N80. The D200 is only marginally better than the D70. Yes, I have used both.

The D200 would probably be a better upgrade for shooting landscapes, portraits and the like. Resolution and sharpness count highly for landscapes, and the D200 has a clear advantage over the D70. Then too, the image processing hardware/firmware is more highly advanced in the D200.

If your main interests are as stated, then a 70-200 VR will not greatly enhance your capabilities. The 70-200 is invaluable for available light photography at events such as sports and concerts. I use it for over half the shots in this case. However, my most common lens for landscapes is the 28-70 AFS, and fewer than 10% of these shots call for the 70-200. For weddings and social events, a 17-35 or 17-55 is the most-used lens.

There is a significant difference between 6MP and 10MP (or 12.4MP) once you get to an 11x14 inch enlargement or bigger. Furthermore, you notice this improvement more as you continue use the camera and learn to use it to its full advantage (get comfortable to carrying and using a tripod). As with testing a new film or lens, the aggregate results are what count. You can't tell that much from a few test shots in the camera store, and nothing at all from hand-held shots or small enlargements.

Unless you only make very small prints, the difference between 6 and 10MP is non-trivial. And there is more to merely pixel counts. The D100, D70 and D50 are all 6MP and use essentially the same sensor. However, the D50 is the newest and has the best high-ISO results. The D200 is almost two years newer than the D70, and that makes a big difference.

It doesn't mean that one cannot be satisfied with the results from the D70, but the D200 definitely represents significant improvement.

I would like to add my support to the D200. The D200 is a major improvement over previous consumer DSLRs from Nikon (and probably over other manufacturers' products as well). It has a good viewfinder, good autofocus, and the image quality with lenses 35mm and longer is phenomenal. A D200 user would have absolutely no use for a D70.

The 70-200 is a great lens. What other lenses do you have? If you don't have a high-end telephoto, the 70-200 might come first rather than the D200. Might. Then again, maybe not.

This question was actually posted by two other patrons this week. Just scroll down to see the responses. Speaking from my own experience, the D200 is a significant improvement over the D70. It is a more significant improvement than the 70-200mm VR is over the 80-200mm.

"A D200 user would have absolutely no use for a D70."

I disagree with this statement.

You can get quickly spoiled by D200, but you may want to keep D70 for special ocassions, or for special people to use D70.

For mostly type of shooting that d200 will never be able to provide, e.g. fast flash sync in any conditions (indoor, outdoor) allowed by D70 but not by D200.

Automated modes for people who use the camera occasionally, (not available in D200), or just who want use it without getting into deep study cycle, or just as a back up camera.

Ok, I admit that there are a few features on the D70 that are not available on the D200. However, my results from the D70 were so inconsistent in terms of focusing that I would never go back to it.

If you're doing a lot of flash work or IR/UV, the D70 may be what you need.

Concerning the original question for the forum, I will just say this. We could back and forth on the old megapixil this vs that. However, when it really comes down to the point of pressing the shutter button, the question that we all have to ask is, "Can I get the shot". Will your shot be successful, sharp (if need be) and of good enough quality that whomever we show the image, will marvel @ our ability to capture that moment in time. No one who has owned a D70 is going to question the camera's ability to give a quality result, but I will say this. The moment that I picked up the 70-200 vr, and attached it to my d70, my confidence in my ability to get the shot( if needed for that focal range) has never been that same. Everything from countless weddings to WPT (poker tournaments) that lens has shown me just what means to have the confidence of a professional. Get the lens if you need it, you will not regret it.<div>00Gn2D-30343684.jpg.5b3c25596d8c240ca8032deeba602bde.jpg</div>

Buy that lens. You won't regret it. You can always upgrade the camera later. The 70-200 gives amazing results. The image comparison between the D70 and D200 is negligible. What the D200 really offers is convenience. BTW, that big viewfinder sucks the life out of a battery!