More detailed books on the 20D?

franciscodiaz1

Recently I have purchased a EOS 20D, and by now I am satisfied but I

think that the booklet is not enough for the many possibilities of

this camera. Do you know if there is a book or if there are in the

internet any kind of more detailed commentaries and tips? It's a

pity not to take advantage of a so sophisticated camera. Thanks.

The manual covers all the features and related controls. That is, it tells you how to use

them but reveals little on why and when you might use said features. Now if you're an

experienced photographer you don't need to be told why or when to use 2nd curtain sync,

slow flash sync or exposure compensation. However general topics are covered in detail in

any community college intro photo course and thousands of photo texts, e.g., National

Geographic Field Guide. Also Photonet has an extensive beginner's section (under "learn').

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Are you after a book on photography or another book on the 20D?

If its photography then the Nat Geo Field Guide is a pretty good place to start.

If its the 20D then take a look at the Magic Latern Guide for the 20D.

Don't forget, its not the camera, its the moron behind it :)

But you will be wasting your time if all you're doing is reading books. Have a look, think

about what you've read, and then go out and take some pictures to try something specific

out.

Unlike many of the people on this forum you have a huge advantage - you're getting

instant feedback from your DSLR. We never had that, but you still have to be systematic

and think about what you're doing.

good luck,

Magic Lantern Guide is pretty good

Amazon also sells a very detailed workbook by Dennis Curtin (A Short Course in Canon EOS 20D Photography) which is both full of detailed info on the 20D and basic photo techniques and tips.

Take your pick depending on your level of knowledge.

Francisco, I asked about the same question some weeks back, and received about the same replies, i.e., "how could something be better than the manual?" Well, I believe that this is an extremely poorly written manual, and does not in any way explain in detail all of the aspects of the camera, such as WHY one might want to use this or that button or control. My previous experience with digital cameras (I have experience with film cameras dating to 1948) came from my Olympus E-10. Not half the complexity of the Canon 20D, but their manual was easially six times as thorough. Someone suggested to me that I buy the $25.00 DVD by Blue Crane Digital titled: "Introduction to the Canon 20D Digital SLR." I watched the DVD, but it gave little information that I didn't already know. But, there were a couple of items brought up (as does the manual) which I really wanted to learn about, and which the speaker says to consult your user's manual on. Even they didn't want to explain. On a scale of 1 through 10 I rate the Canon 20D user's manual a 6.5 and the DVD I mentioned above I would rate at a 6.7. I think some knowledgable writer-photographer is really missing the boat here. An opportunity is knocking, but shortly the problems will be with the new 5D. Ah, well...

Personally I like Canon manuals as is: small and to the point. Most folks that spend

$1500 on a body don't need an explaination of DOF preview or why you might move AF

activation to the * button. If Canon explained the how and why of every little control and

option the dad burn manual would be too big and heavy to fit in a camera bag.

Canon should copy software companies: include a barebones manual and sell detailed

aftermarket training materials for

those that need it. Incidentally, the magic lantern guides are terrible: everything that's in

the manual plus a wordy and awkward generic photo primer.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I tend to agree with Puppy, as usual, but I would have to say that if you're not "getting" the manual, then get the Magic Lantern. They aren't much more informative than the Canon manual, but are written in fairly plain language, and in prose that is somewhat easier to understand then the chopped up text of the manual

FWIW, I am CONVINCED that publishers of manuals, of all kinds, hire someone to pull out the one or two sentences that would tie things together and cause it to actually make sense