5D.. oh what to sell.....

charles_lipton

Here's my dilemma..... I currently own an EOS 3 and 20D. I want a

5D for it's full frame and other advantages. I need to sell a few

items to finance the 5D.

I own the 70-200mm f4 and the f2.8 IS version and the 28-70mm 2.8 L

lens which I use on both bodies. I've read that the optics on the

28-70mm L should not be used on FF DSLR's but I do not know why;

which is why Canon came out with the 24-70mm L.

To help finance the 5D purchase I will sell one of the 70-200mm

lenses. I love the portability of the f4 version; the IS version is

probably one of the sharpest and best lenses I've ever used but it's

big and heavy. I like travelling and do alot of cruises so I don't

know that weight is that big of an issue.

I am not a professional photographer or a portrait artist. I enjoy

all types of general photography. I also have a Nikon Coolscan V ED

which I'll probably sell since I don't use my 3 anymore (but refuse

to part with it).

Which of the two 70-200mm lenses would you keep? Would you sell the

28-70MM L and buy the 24-70mm L or do you think I can still use the

28-70mm L on a FF sensor such as the 5D?

Thanks for your reply..

Charles

Charley, If you use a monopod or a tripod a lot then sell the f2.8. Sell the f4 if you shoot off hand mostly.( I'm a little shakey at 200mm) Low light could come into play also. About the 28-70L, If it works ok on the EOS 3 it should be just as good on the 5D. I have the 5D and love it. Get it even if you keep all your gear. You are still going to need your 20D if you are going to shoot any thing moving fast.Good shooting, Bill

<p>I bought the 70-200/2.8L IS USM because I find IS extremely useful, both in general and particularly for a telephoto lens. I prefer shooting handheld when possible, with monopod when necessary, and with tripod only when there's no other option. So the 70-200/4L USM would be the one to go if I owned both ... but then again, I wouldn't have owned both anyway.</p>

<p>Which one do you use the most? The f/4 lens has two advantages: cost and portability (size and weight). You say the f/2.8 lens is "big and heavy" but you also say you "don't know that weight is that big of an issue" so I'm guessing you'd be willing to lug the f/2.8 lens around, and that pretty much negates the f/4 lens' operational advantage. So the only advantage to selling the f/2.8 lens would be that it would contribute more to your 5D fund.</p>

<p>As for the 28-70, I've never heard that it <em>should not</em> be used on FF DSLRs. It was designed for FF SLRs (albeit film ones) and earned an excellent reputation on them. Canon claims the 24-70 is better for DSLRs due to improved anti-reflective design (from <a href="http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/tech/report/200301/report.html#t2" target="_blank">coatings</a> and from <a href="http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/tech/report/200308/report.html#t9" target="_blank">choosing element shapes to help minimize reflections</a>), and also better for DSLRs with APS-C (1.6-crop) sensors due to its expanded wide coverage. But that doesn't mean the 28-70 can't or shouldn't be used with DSLRs, FF or otherwise.</p>

<p>So if it were me, I'd sell the 70-200/4L USM and keep the two f/2.8 lenses.</p>

Yes... I think that makes a great combo..

Wide angle lenses such as the 17-40mmL on the 5D or the 50mm f1.4...On the 20d I think using my 70-200mm or my 300mm f4 IS adds 1.6X magnification on the long end... so I'm covered from a true 17mm on the short end through say 420MM on the long end (not including my 1.4X TC).

The other nice thing is for portraiture.. I can use my 85mm 1.8 on the 5D have or the 20D and have basically a 135mm 1.8 classic portrait lens.. So using both works really well.. IMHO...

I suggest you keep the 20D. I have upgraded from the 20D to the 5D, and find my tele lenses (even the 100-400L IS) a bit short. I'm starting to think I'll keep the 20D for the birds.

I'd also keep the 70-200/2.8L IS if I had to choose.

I don't think you'll see much quality difference between the 28-70/2.8L and 24-70/2.8L lenses.

Pierre

I bought a 5D 3 weeks ago and, after using it for awhile, busted out my 10D. I was

underwhelmed by the tiny viewfinder and gave the camera to a close relative. I don't miss

the cropping factor at all. If I really want a 1.6 crop that's easy to do in PS. One side effect

of the 5D is it's much easier to keep horizons straight than the 10D.

I've been mostly using my primes--EF 24 2.8, 35 2.0, 50 1.4 USM, 85 1.8 USM, 200 2.8L

and 300 4L USM--to shoot lanscapes and the quality has been shockingly excellent. Even

after hundreds of images I haven't noticed any of the vignetting horror stories so popular

on the net.

I agree, if the 28-70 2.8K is good on the EOS 3 it will be good on the 5D.

Personally I'd hold off on sellign the scanner if you still have a lot of negs/slides from the

last few decades. Although I mainly shoot digital now I have about 30 years of shooting to

scan!

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I think the lens "dilemma" (a fair one to be sure) it hugely dependent on what type of shoots you do.

I have the 70-200 f/4L and the 24-70L (my "normal" lens) which I use with my 5D. I can tell you that, if you don't plan on doing exclusively low-light, telephoto work (with static subjects), the "little brother" will do fine since the 5D allows boosting the ISO with very little noise. I would therefore, suggest you keep the 70-200 f/4L and sell both L zooms and get the newer 24-70L which is a GREAT lens on the 5D!

I can tell you that for your application and shooting requirments , unless you have the money to burn , the 5d will NOT be a huge upgrade and in fact might dissapoint you severely. All the lenses you currently have will work excellenty with the 5d and ALL of them will exhibit some light drop off and CA etc when you shoot wide open. I would NEVER get rid of the 2.8 IS lens and cant quite understand howcome you have a duplication of this lens in a F4 format?

If I were you , I would re-evaluate the reason you want to spend a fortune on another body and rather spend that money on more optics. T

I tend to agree with "Jim the Contrarian" about the questionable logic of selling low-depreciation lenses to buy a high-depreciation dSLR. Also, I can't imagine the need for a non-pro owning both these versions of the 70-200, although I'm sure there are others that do. Only you can decide if you want to part with one of these lenses, and which one it would be.

I'd love to have a FF dSLR, as well, and I'm sure I'll eventually buy one, but I'm willing to wait another product generation or two.