where to buy the 'old' Canon EF 85mm 1.2?

conraderb

Hi there - I noticed yesterday that Adorama, B&H and KEH all seem to

NOT have the 'old' EF 85mm 1.2, and have replaced it with the 'new'

85mm 1.2 II.

Does anyone know a reputable retailer that still sells the 'old'

version 1 85mm 1.2? I'm looking for the performance of the 1.2 without

the $2000 price tag of the new one. Obviously, focusing speed isn't a

huge issue for me.

thanks - Conrad

No doubt you've already probably heard this; ebay. And, as far as reputable, hmmmmm, you just have to check out the sellers feedback. Pull up a few of his completed auctions. See what kind of things he buys and sells. Email him with questions and don't be afraid to ask for more photographs of the lens he's selling that are not included in the auction.

I've bought a number of lenses, tools, shoes, clothes, knives, etc., on ebay and have only been defrauded once. That seller made a full refund to us and we got to keep the item.

Anyway, you've already checked with the best national retailers. How about a google search for the lens. Be surprised what shows up. Maybe a photo store in BFE, Nebraska, has one in excellent + condition.

Good Luck

Chuck

Let me qualify the fraud I spoke of. We've done over 250 sales/purchases on ebay and only had the 1 bad transaction. Fraudulent sales of name brand merchandise are rare but they do occur. If a seller is new, as indicated by a little person icon by their name or have zero feedback, and are selling a high priced item for what seems too good to be true... it is.

Hope that helps..

Chuck

someone on fredmiranda recently got one from ebay for $700. good condition, sharp, clean glass, delivered promptly, no fraud. Seller didn't know what he had, and botched the listing with a lousy title. It pays to watch closely sometimes.

• 2 months later...