Orangutans in Borneo: Tokina 400 or Nikon 300?

dale_smith

I will be making a second trip to Borneo this spring to continue my

research on a children's book I am writing about orangutans. I made an

offer for a used Tokina 400mm f5.6 ATX APO but I haven't heard from

the owner, leading me to believe the lens was sold or my offer

refused. This may be a blessing in disguise. My alternate plan is to

purchase a used Nikon 300mm f4.5 ED AIS and use it with an appropriate

1.4 TC on my F4s. I realize I will lose autofocus and be limited to

aperture priority or manual use, but since my rehabilitated orangutan

subjects are relatively slow moving and easier to approach than their

completely wild kin, and I will probably be shooting wide open, I can

probably live with these limitations. I will be shooting under the

rain forest canopy in very damp, dark conditions. I plan to use E200,

pushing it to 400 or even 800 if necessary. My question to the forum

is: Will I be better off with the Nikon 300mm f4.5 (which will give me

a 420mm f5.6 with the TC) or should I continue my search for a used

Tokina? The Nikon 300 f2.8 is beyond my financial reach at the moment.

Any insights will be appreciated.

Dale Smith

There are plenty of posts about the Nikon 300/4.5 and choosing a 300 vs. 400 (Tokina or Sigma) in this forum. Do a <a href="q-and-a-search-form.tcl?topic=Nature%20Photography">search</a> and you'll come up with lots of information.<p>

For my own input, I currently own the Tokina 400/5.6 in Canon EF mount. Its well built, light, okay at f/5.6, but focus tracking is poor. If it loses the target it takes forever hunting from close focus to infinity and back (I can't understand why Tokina didn't include a focus limiting swith). Because of this I'm selling my Tokina and upgrading to the Canon 300/4L + TCs.<p>

You indicate focus speed is not important in this application, so the Tokina's shortcomings probably don't matter. However, if the Nikon 300/4.5 is still sharp with TCs, I think its a more versatile choice, especially if you can occasionally get close enough to use it at 300. The environmental conditions you describe would also drive me to chose the Nikon over a third party lense (though I say this based on Nikon's reputation, not from actual experience).

Dale, I would suggest getting the Tokina lens. Forget buying a Tokina lens used; you can get a new one from one of the N.Y.C. mail order stores for approx. $400.00 new. You would not save very much money by buying that lens used, if you could even find someone selling it used. The lens is a good autofocus lens. It is not as fast autofocusing as a Nikon S silent wave lens, but would be more than adequate for what you have described will be the len's primary use. There is not a huge difference in lens speed or magnification, between the 300mm & 400mm lenses, so go with the Tokina.

One important item; you mentioned that you will be shooting with faster ASA film. What about using a flash. In my travels in the tropics, I always use a flash under the rainforest canopy. Will the animals tolerate flash? If so, get a Nikon SB-28 flash, they are terrific.

Dale, I am a Canon shooter and don't know the difference between the Tokina or the Nikon quality, but I have been to Borneo and saw the Orangutans twice, so : I'd say go for the Nikon; the utans might come really close, so it is important to have a close focusing distance; also, the extra light from a faster lens might help, as it can be dark. Also, if you get close, or they get close to you, beware of yr equipment; orangutans are very curious and extremely strong; my tripod had to be rescued by one of the rangers! A child in our group saw its ( yellow ! ) camera go, as the orangutan probably thought it was some sort of banana ! So buying very expensive equipment AND see the orangutans is some risk.

And of course, flash is out of the question : first of all as courtesy to the animals, second to avoid that everybody will start using flash and third : these are wild animals and you never know how they will react. I used different slide film, but my best shots were from Fuji 800 print.

Herman Hiel

Hi Dale,

I was in Borneo two years ago. I had a good time taking shots of Orangutans using a Nikon 80-200/2,8 and 100 asa slidefilm handheld, no flash. I could have used a longer lens sometimes, but the speed and the oppurtunity to zoom shorter was very handy. Some of this "forestpeople" came very close, even a wideangle would have been fun.

Pel

Dale, do you already own the 300 4.5 EDIF lens? If not, you might be better off adding a few hundred dollars to your purchase, and get the 300 f4.0 AF. If, on the other hand, you have the 300 4.5 EDIF, I would definitely get the TC14B over the Tokina lens.

It is always better to use Nikon w/ Nikon and Canon w/ Canon. Furthermore, even though the 300 4.5 is an older design, it is a very fine lens. All you have to do is look at John Shaw's 1st book on nature photography to see the incredible images he made with that optic.

Also, before you go, you should do a film test. Compare Kodak's E200 pushed to the "Semi-New" variable ASA Fuji film. I believe that this film is rated 100 to 1600.

Good Luck

bruce

Thanks Matt, Joe, Herman, Pel and Bruce for chiming in with your responses. Turns out the 400/5.6 Tokina I thought was unavailable was available afterall, so I bought it for $300. I already have Nikon lenses, a 24-120, and the 80-200/2.8, so with the addition of a 400, I feel covered, even if I don't add a 1.4 TC. I definitely will experiment with the variable speed Fuji before I leave. This is will be my second journey to photograph orangutans in Borneo and I have a reasonable idea of what to expect. I agree with the comment about not using flash...not only is it discourteous to the orangutans, but you never know what kind of agressive behavior a flash might trigger, especially among the rehabilitated apes. I was chased through the forest by an orangutan who was trying to get at a sun bear on my last trip, and it was an adrenalin pumping moment. An orangutan is eight times stronger than the average man, so you don't want to start any arguments. Thanks again to all of you for your input, and for the forum that allows this kind of exchange to flourish.

A few years ago, there was cover, I believe it was on Outdoor Photographer of a swinging orangutan, ghosted by using a flash with slow exposure. Very effective, the text didn't mention any problems with flash and the orangutans. Either it is no problem, or they were insentitive to potential problems. Take a flash and ask the rangers if there are any prohibitions or reasons for not using it. You might be surprised.

Also, as far as the manufacturer's vs non manufacturer's lenses, if a lens is a good pro quality lens, the light doesn't know the difference. I shoot Nikon with Nikon lenses, a Tamron 300f2.8, Sigma and lots of Nikon lenses. The Tamron gives incredable detail at 840 f8 with 1.4 and 2x tele extenders attached. It is the lens quality not the label of the manufacturer which is important.Check out the photos like those of Moose Peterson to see if top pros get good results with non manufacturers lenses. Your trip sounds great.

I would like to try it, but before then, i think I want to take a "highway " I heard about to the Artic Ocean, through over 400 miles of isolated "wilderness" areas. The "highway" is gravel road and 1 1/2 or so car widths wide.

Steve

I see you have answered the original question but I will weigh in on the subject of flash. I have taken many orangutang pictures at the zoo with flash. The flash really helps to fill out the shadows on the face. I have never hada problem at the zoo. I realize that out in the wild things are different. Most animals, wild, or zoo, will give some sort of warning when they get angry. The zoo animals tend to make moise and throw feces for example..

Good luck! Sounds like a wonderful trip and book....