Least cloudy months in Milford Sound?

ron_r2

Milford's weather appears to be a bit of a lottery!

We were there in February and were fortunate enough to enjoy three consecutive blue sky days! One friend who visited Milford at the same time, but a year earlier talks about his following the lights of the bus in front of them, because that was all they could see! Another talks about his "windscreen wiper tour" of Milford. We got lucky.

They get 7 metres (21 feet) of rainfall a year at Milford, so there's not much room for sunshine!

Regardless, it's a must see.

The highlight of our 4 weeks in NZ.

P.S. . . . Doubtful Sound is another goodie. Different to Milford, but striking in its own way. If you get to Milford stay in Te Anau, much more convenient than staying in Queenstown and schlepping in all the way. The drive from Te Anau to Milford is almost as spectacular as the Sound itself!

Milford Sound and Queenstown have entirely different weather. The west (wet)/east (dry) divide is quite distinct, and you can clearly see it when driving down the road to Milford. Milford is one of the wettest places in the world (around 11 metres of rain per year, 300 plus days with rain).

The best time to see Milford Sound is immediately after some heavy rain, as you'll have loads of waterfalls. While not the best photographically speaking, being there when it rains is quite impressive! Summer time is the time you are most likely to get a fine day (Feb-March are usually the most dependable months), but it is rare to get more than three days in a row without rain. Don't forget the visit to Doubtful Sound & Manapouri as mentioned. If you have time, you may like to go further south to Stewart Island

We hiked the Milford Track in Mid December. They promised, and we planned on, absolute bucketloads of rain. Every nice day, the Rangers would tell us how lucky we were to have a clear day, and to enjoy it, because we would certainly get rain the next day. Instead, we had four days of glorious blue skys and terrific weather, with lots of waterfalls from the previous rain days before. Timing is everything. Absolutely wonderful place, and wonderful people. You can see my images in my Travel/New Zealand folder at <a href="http://www.whitemountainphoto.com">www.whitemountainphoto.com</a> . Have a great trip. Dana

Hi, I was just in Milford Sound on April 1 - the weather was dry and superbly clear. Unfortunately, it had been dry for quite some time as the only waterfalls i saw were the two that are permenant. If you get rain it is supposed to be beautifully atmospheric, if you get brilliant skies i highly recommend a helicopter flight over the sound - it was amazing! I have no images to share just yet as i am working very slowly editing my 3000 raw images from a month in NZ. <br><br> I spent a lot of time worrying about weather and what to do and such and i think its safe to say that no matter what you can not go wrong in NZ it was the most beautiful place with the nicest people. You will have a fantastic time.

• 1 month later...

Hi Ron

I have been lurking in the EOS and digital forums for a while but only just discovered this one. I live in the North Island of NZ. I think February is possibly nearly the best chance of getting fine weather at Milford sound as February is usually our hottest/driest month of the year. "I think" because it is a long way from here and mostly what I know about it is that it rains a lot. And as people have said above, after rain is when you get all the waterfalls. I've only been there once myself - it was cloudy in April. Anyway, to help you watch the weather, here is our Met Service rain radar for the lower South Island area at http://www.metservice.co.nz/default/index.php?alias=nvradar5541. To find your bearings, look for the lake that shows a jagged zigzag format in the centre top third of the map. That's Lake Wakatipu with Queenstown at the top of the right hand arm, and Milford Sound is roughly to the west of there. Have a great time when you come. Raewyn.