Canon 30D and EOS Utility Problems- Need help please!

sarah_k2

Need help please with my new Canon 30D and the EOS Utility it came with. I cannot for the life of me get

the Utility to download the images from the camera. I have a MAC OSX 10.4 computer. I installed all the

programs (EOS Utility, Image browser, Camera window, Digital Photo professional- all the prgrams that

can with the Utility disk with the new camera.) My computer is not having a problem reading the camera as

I had to resort to using i-photo as I cannot get the Canon software to work, and i-photo has been working

great. Here's the problem. When I plug in the camera and launch the EOS Utility to download the images

from the camera, the "start to download images" and the "let's you select and download images" options

are greyed out and I cannot select either one. Even the "set up camera option" is not available. The only

option I can click on is "monitor folder and import images". Can someone please provide some direction

as to what I am doing wrong? Could it be a problem conflicting with i-photo? (I have over 3000 images in

i-photo- so removing it is not an option!) Is it a setting in the camera or the computer that I need to

adjust? Any info you have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Sarah

I don't own a Mac so maybe this does not apply. Does the program Zoombrowser EX work for you? That's what I've used since my 10D. I have the 30D now but I used the Digital Photo Professional to download individual shots.

I had to disable the auto download defaults of iPhoto (preferences) otherwise you have a

software conflict as both apps struggle over the same prize. Also, Camera Window is meant

to be sort of a gateway for the whole herd of Canon apps. Personally I prefer to have all auto

download defaults set to off. That way you decide what program opens or

just drag 'n drop your files.

Once you setup your camera with your name you should get a CF card reader. It's much faster

and convenient to use. Plus no worries about a low battery...

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Although I agree that a card reader is the best solution, you can also use Image Capture.app

(it should live in /Applications) to download the images *if* you put your camera in "PTP"

mode first (on the 20D, this is under "Communications Mode" on the main menu). I did this

while waiting for my card reader to show up, and it worked for a little while; I wouldn't

recommend it as a long-term solution.

Sarah--

I had the exact same problems using EOS Utility with my 30D hooked up to my Windoze XP Pro machine.

Canon may as well have not bothered to pack that USB 2.0 cord in the box.

Like others here said, a card reader is the only way to go.

This is a follow-up question to Sarah K's. Like her, I have no problem

downloading from my camera (20D) to iPhoto on my Mac. Later I can pull the

files into Photoshop or whatever. Shouldn't I be happy with that? What are the

advantages of a card reader? Should I not be concerned with the daily pulling

the CF card out of and shoving it back into my camera? Isn't that wear and

tear too? If you convince me to get a card reader, which ones do you

recommend with USB 2? With Firewire? Thanks!

Primary advantages of card reader:

1) Does not require camera battery power to download.

2) Allows you to use windows file managment tools on the card. (computer will treat the card as a removable drive). You can even use the card as a USB key.

3) If you have a second card, you can actually *use your camera* while downloading pictures.

I use a USB card because USB ports are on most computers. Firewire is more rare.

While I have hooked up the USB cable to the camera, I don't think I have done so in 3 years (not since putting my name in the camera software).

Swapping out the cards on the camera does not seem such a big deal to me. Of course, when on vacation I generally need more than one card anyway.

• 5 months later...
I'm having the same problem on Windows, using a Canon Powershot SD600. On my Nikon D70, I have found that a setting on the camera ('USB mode' I think) can effect the ability of Nikon's software to detect the camera. Currently charging my battery so I can experiment with these options.