New Marketing Strategy...

cappoldt

I don't have a problem with it.

I feel that with today's information stream we can pretty much find dirt on everyone & although she's had her problems I really don't care.

If her problems continue then maybe someday it will be referred to as "Let's go do some Coolpix" ...

Ever been around the 'top modeling' gang? There is an above average percentage of wicked partiers, I can assure you...they just don't all get caught on film doing it. Chances are, when you look at a billboard, that face has seen things...

Whether it's Canon's ads or Nikon's, now, the cameras are being sold by showing skin...same tactics as beer companies, clothes companies, sunglass companies, etc. use...I guess with Kate, though, the imagination can be...even sleazier? I dunno.

Redemption? Oh, please. She would lose all the appeal if she looked "redempted". does she look redempted to you?

Fact is that "bad boys" (girls in this case) sell better than nerds.

Shun: you were a kid 30 years ago, like me. My 15 years old kid, today, LOOOOKs at her, I'm telling you.

<i>"that is why Nikon used Kate Moss because you don't. The people they are aiming the adverts at Get it!"</i><br><Br>Ummm... people who need VR, that is? Or people with drug related aspirations? ... She didn't do pot, you know.<br><Br>The truth is, she's known (never my type, btw), and perhaps now, she's cheap enough to consider. I myself would take Sharapova over a drug addict any day.

Hey, 99.9% of our threads pertain directly to cameras and photography. One thread about Nikon's marketing/advertising philosophy can't hurt.

I understand that Nikon is trying to expand its market by reaching out to young people who perceive themselves as hip and cool and who may not yet own a digital camera. We older folks weren't born yesterday, metaphorically (or literally).

However, at the same time that a few young, cool hipsters may react to the ad by realizing that a Coolpix S6 represents an essential part of their lifestyle, any number of more fuddy-duddyish people who actually have a current interest in photography may be sufficiently put off by the ad that they will decide NOT to buy a Nikon, at least this time around.

Again--Nikon could easily have conjured up any number of ads that would likely have had the same positive marketing impact without the in-your-face sleaze that will have a negative effect on their "brand name image."

And yes, overall, this is not a big deal, just a topic for the moment.

Agreed, Doug. Was just discussing with another photo.netter that we Web-dwelling, camera nerds are not the target of that ad. We get moody photos of snarling wolves and eerily-lit John Malcovich, and we appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Kate Moss is an extraordinary model. She can look lovely or awful, depending on how she is made up, posed, lit (no pun intended) and photographed. Regardless of what she may be doing to her health, she is interesting as a photographic subject, and appropriate for a camera company.

I watch tennis and I like Maria Sharapova, she looks lovely and is one of the world's best players, but the constant repetition of her ads in televised tournaments is utterly boring. The one-hundredth time I heard her say, "make every shot a power shot" (what does that mean in photography, except it is the name of some Canon cameras?) was more than enough.