D200 goes to Cuba

cabophoto

In February and March I spent a couple of weeks in Cuba, shooting with

two D200 bodies and mainly the 20/2.8 AF-D Nikkor and the Sigma HSM

30/1.4.

I finally managed to upload some of the pictures to my website. You

can view them at http://www.cabophoto.com/CU6.htm

I'd love to hear what you think about the pictures. For reasons of

forum policy (and because I don't want this thread to be deleted)

please refrain from political statements about the country.

Carsten

Carsten, first of all, nice pictures. I don't see why your thread will be deleted; at least I have not seen any reason yet.

If people introduce politics, international conflicts, religion or other off-topic controversal issues into the discussion/debate, those posts will be deleted. We might even consider locking people out from the thread. But that should not affect the overall thread.

Nice work, Carsten...love that 20. I just returned from London & Amsterdam and pretty much used my 20/2.8 and my 35/2, and my 105/2.5 a bit (fantastic on the D200).

<p>

Anyway, I love your style. I've got to make it to Cuba, but it's difficult from the USA.

<p>

Just curious...are you using the built-in flash or a seperate unit?

Eric,

yes, I have tried wireless flash control with the SB-800 and it works fine. I still use the extension cord because I think it's more reliable, especially when I have to change the flash to my right side (which is very cumbersome anyway).

Carsten

Carsten,

I really enjoyed the pictures - my favorite is the one in which Quinceañera is riding to the

event in what appears to be a red '55 Chevy.

You answered my post below about the Nikon 20 mm, but your images graphicaly show

how good the Nikon 20 mm is for ethnographic photography. I'll be headed to Chiapas,

Mexico and this lens now is a "must-have" for my new D70s.

Your images are very sharp with good color contrast. They capture "la cultura Cubana." I

also liked Valle de Viñales and the one taken with the Sigma of La Quinceañera in her pink

dress.

Thanks.

Gene

• 1 year later...

i just found these images. they're wonderful. with 18 trips under my belt, i'm obviously obsessed with cuba. my only detraction would be, at the very least, with the first shot. the contrast is far from believable, very cool, but not possible in-camera.

hey y'all, i'll see you in c.u.ba!