Elinchrom Octa

david-m

Could anyone tell me how easy and quick (or slow!) it is to set up an Elinchrom Octa -

especially if I am doing it without an assistant? I find it difficult enough just setting up my

normal large Elinchrom softbox! But ... I am very tempted to buy one, as I am always

impressed by the versatility and quality of light they give.

Any thoughts really welcomed.

Thanks

David

Ever danced with an elephant? It gets better with practice.

It depends on how heavy a stand you have and where you're setting it up. With the appropriate Avenger or Matthews Studio Equipment heavyweight stand or boom, it is a matter of opening an umbrella albeit a very large one. In the studio, a matter of getting used to it. In the open, with a light wind, an Herculean feat. Most people make the mistake of getting too lightweight a stand and then it becomes a Right Royal Pain in the Arse to set it up.

The material is kind of lightly constructed and I would take really good care not to tear it setting it up especially at its periphery and where it is secured to the spokes.

With the diffuser on, it will be a bear to adjust settings if you are using a monolight. Works far better with a generator/pack.

• 2 years later...
please, i have purchased an octa and tried wrestling with it and given up. what is the first step to setting it up? and the second? have no pamphlet and am in india - no manual available on the site, either