Hi,

After alot of use of older cameras (1950's - 1970's) I had an

opportunity to purchace a new EOS kit at an excellent price from my

local camera dealer. Therefore I am now the proud owner of a Canon

EOS IX with 24-85mm zoom.

I felt compelled to post to compliment as the build quality, ease of

use and image quality are in another league to what I have been used

to. This is my first camera with auto focus too and this is another

feature I really enjoy (did'nt think I would).

I can see why the EOS system has gained such a loyal following, and

I hope to get much pleasure from using my camera and coming back to

keep updated on this forum on the latest EOS news.

I have offered to shoot some wedding photos, and with my new camera

I have renewed confidence - I would not have even concidered before

to do this important assignment with my old cameras.

I picked up a pack of 10 Fuji slide films last week (process paid),

so I am really on a roll. Got some B&W to try next - my first attemt

at using monochrome. Nothing more to add than it is all great fun!

Cheers, Ian.

I bought an EOS 300 (non-digital) a few years back with a 28 -135 image stabilised Canon lens. Still use it alongside my D350 (rebel XT). Theyre both great for their price. I do find auto focus sometimes a bit annoyingly hit and miss, but quicker than hand and eye for those grab shots with my OM2.

I had an opportunity to purchace a new EOS kit at an excellent price from my local camera dealer. Therefore I am now the proud owner of a Canon EOS IX with 24-85mm zoom.

NEW? kit...that camera came out in 1996 and is discontinued.

I picked up a pack of 10 Fuji slide films last week (process paid), so I am really on a roll. Got some B&W to try next - my first attemt at using monochrome. Nothing more to add than it is all great fun!

This camera shoots APS film Fuji does not make slide film in APS. Better double check exactly what you have gotten into...

Hi,

Thanks for the responces.

Rob - it is a EOS IX for sure. It was in a kit with batteries, strap and the silver matching lens. It may possibly be discontinued - it was the last one he had.

Concerning the slide film, I am certain about this. It is 100 speed and in a green box. Inside is an envelope to send the 40 exposure cartridge back to Fuji for developing. It was nearing it's expiration date so I got it a bit off the full price.

Cheers again,

Ian

Apparently, at least at one time, Fuji did make APS slide film. I found Phil Greenspun's old APS article (search for aps slide) and a response from 1999 spoke about it. Maybe it was available in Europe for a longer time, hence the not yet expired film Ian has.

I love my IX and IXe...great little cameras. They always seem to confuse the 'new' digital crowd!

Good find on the slide film. I've never been able to get my hands on any. Just make sure that the processing for it is available or the same as the rest of the APS film. That is, before you shoot anything critical like a wedding. I'd run a test roll to make sure it's still good. And you might need to do a bit of hunting to find a compatible projector.

Enjoy your new camera!

Well guys, maybe it's me but I would not advise shooting a wedding with the IX...APS too small for good enlargements, and the film is hard to get, processing is hard to find.

If you're going to shoot film, you may as well get a 35mm film camera..the IX was a non-started and it's sells show that point.

Yes, I had one for a short time.

Ian, here is your camera. It came out in 1996, APS kind of died about the time of digital cameras coming out.

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/f_camera.html

Well, glad you could get film for it, hope getting it processed is not hard to find, used to be expensive too. Dont the negatives stay in the cannister after processing? not sure. Heres the scoop on APS.

http://www.cameraquest.com/aps.htm

I did not want to start the rain, but I must agree with RM L.

The one very positive thing is that the 24-85 silver lens that you got with the camera will work on all Canon EOS 35mm SLRs and DSLRs and is worth about $250. It is the same as the black Canon EF 24-85mm lens.

The IX was a neat camera and probably the best of its kind and if in good condition it might be a collector's item someday. Good luck.

Thanks again for replies - much appreciated.

I get the impression that there is not alot of good feeling for this camera. It wowed me in the shop and to handle/use but I suppose "the proof is in the pudding" as they say.

My initial film purchace was Kodak 'High Definition' and this did give what I thought was good results, but I have had no enlargements done yet. I suppose I could take the kit back, but then I would loose the lens (the whole kit cost me ᆪ130).

I need an honest opinion here - do you really think the IX is no good? I have never owned (or even handled) an EOS camera before so am not really sure what difference in quality I can expect between different EOS models. The salesman did also have an EOS 3, but he reccomended against this as he said they were ment for journalists and the like - so I did not persue this model at the time. It was alot more expensive too.

All input welcome-

Ian, UK

Ian,

I did consider EOS IX, the model you got when I was switching to EOS system quite some time ago. I did go with the Elan II mainly due to the film size. There was a dought about having slide film for APS and larger prints from negatives would not be as sharp as you like to be. OTOH, viewfinder was dim compared to Elan II and after holding two cameras side by side there was no question about Elan II. I do slides and exposure has always been not a problem. You can get a used one from www.keh.com for very good price. If you want to look at EOS system http://eosdoc.com/ would be good starting point. One more thing, Elan 7 would be another close candidate.

Me again. I never owned one, but considering the price you paid and the fact you got a decent lens with it, unless I just couldn't afford to, I'd keep it. Heck, you could buy a used EOS 3 body or a new Elan 7(30?)body or even a Rebel body for not a lot of money, and then your 35mm is covered.

It looks like the slides are mounted in standard holders, so projecting shouldn't be a problem, though of course the image won't project as large at the same distance. And I seem to recall that at least up until the digital boom, slideshows were very popular in Europe so I'll guess that at least for awhile you can get your APS slide film developed and mounted there. If not, since slides don't go back into the canister ala negatives, you could rip open the canisters and develop yourself, though I'm sure any non-auto lab could do it as well.

Sounds like the IX is an APS film camera. The negative feelings are because APS film format is really a concept that failed.

The reason it failed is because when you market an inferior product: you can't get away with charging full price for it!

But: The lens alone is worth 2.5x the amount you paid. Maybe, once you run through the film you have, consider another body and use the really cool lens that you got on that body.

Sorry to say, but with all the options in cameras today I think the IX was more than likely a mistake. If you're happy with film (and there is no reason not to be), rather than digital, you should pick up a 35mm body where you will have more film, processing and lens choices. I don't think I would go back to that camera store either. That said, if the price was right and your relatively happy with it, then use it as a stepping stone. The right price is a price where you won't feel bad throwing it away in a fairly short time frame.

- Just one opinion, only because you asked.

Ian,

At 130GBP (=$240USD) it sounds like you bought a good lens and got the IX for free. I think you should keep it. Perhaps you should also get an elan 7 or 7N (35mm and much cheaper than the 3).

While my IX often tags along for weddings, I've ONLY used it for select creative shots. NEVER for anything critical like the ceremony or formals.

Despite the fact that APS has declined severely, I think it will be a while before it totally dies. I can still get Fuji 800 and Kodak C-41 B&W...so that's all that matters to me at this point.

I once had an IX Lite for one summer, and sold it at the end of the summer because I hadn't gotten one sharp image with it. Then bought an Elan 7E and was really impressed. Then got a 10D and sold the 7E after 6 months of non-use, then bought a 20D and now a 5D.

Pierre

Congratulations, but do what everybody says. Keep the 24-85, which retails for approx

$300usd, and get a 35mm body for the wedding and everything else. Keep the IX as a toy. I

would recommend possibly picking up a faster lens for the wedding unless you plan to

mount your camera on a tripod.

Ethan

Ian,

Whatever you decide to do with the IX body, by all means keep the "special edition" 24-85mm lens that came with it. I understand that 10-year-old "silver"/"champagne" version is sharper and better built than the regular (black) edition Canon has been producing over the past five years or so.

I bought mine used for a song four years ago to use as my main/walk-around lens on my EOS-3 (and later on my EOS 10D) and have been very happy with it since.