Just a love letter

Hi all here at Leica forum!

This is my first post here so i guess i start with a love story.

I started my photographic adventures when i was around 20 im now 35.

I`ve had konicas, canons, olympus cameras and they where all wery

good and i liked them wery mouch.

During the years i read lots abou leica cameras but never bothered

much, till one day.

I decided to go digital. i messed around with nikon d 50 and canon

rebel and alomost bought the rebel when a friend of mine said i

should try the D2.

I fell in love with this silent, sleek and great performing camera,

it`s pretty good for a 6mp.

So the next step was to order the lfi magazine wich is so great, and

there i found all these stories about m and r cameras and there top

lenses.

So i went back to analog, pretty stupit probably couse it`s so

expensive these days here in sweden to develop film but i was in

love!

I starded with an m6 classic wich i`d taken the best photos in my

life with. I dont know if the camera is any better to other brands

but the feel, the silence makes you focus on what youre doing and it

feels exiting to shoot.

The other day i bought a R8 and a 35 - 70 lens and i must say it`s

just as lovley to work with.

Last of all i just want to say that the grain in film seems to give

life to my pictures an i like that.

Have a nice day!!!

Peo,

I hear you!

I have just put my Minolta 9 and lenses for sale because the Nikon D200 is vastly superior

in all levels. I never thought I would abandon the lovely pro Minolta bodies, but the

purchase of an M6 TTL a few years ago told me that the Minolta glass was not the best (for

what I did). In fact, a recent Olympus OM1 E bay purchase for my son confirmed

superiority in visual tests.

I'm rambling now....but.....

The Leica 50 mm Summicron just blew me away.

I just do not see me selling this camera or the glass, because as you also found, the

format instills a different approach to taking pictures. You just take photos in a more

thoughtful way. It's just something that is a lot more personal and like comparing a PC to

a Mac.

I like it....... and I am not willing to part with it. It's my choice, but digital for other uses is

terrific. I do know that when my battery is dead, the Leica will be there, as it will be the

OM1.

Another comment......apart from some excellent shots from people like Trevor H and

similar shooters, I do not believe that this Leica forum pays respect to the capability of this

format. Maybe we need to post more pics (me included). I promise I will try.

Dan

Nah, not in love. I got rid of a mess of Contax SLRs (2) and lenses (3) and got one LNIB (New old stock) Leica M6 TTL and a compact lens (Elmar-M 50mm) to replace them. I wanted something good and compact with a reasonable chance of a high resale value that will do (hopefully) good duty as my last ever film camera.

My digital stuff was trimmed down to one DSLR and one fast-ish 18-50mm f/2.8 zoom. A D200 is on the shopping list later in the year and I have acquired a new Nikon Coolsan V from some of the proceeds of selling the old gear and to digitise the output from the Leica.

The M6 TTL is a nice camera to use but thats about it really. The Elmar is a great little lens but it is difficult to 'love' glass and metal.

I had a little NAS fever recently, about 35mm Summicrons, but have got over that now and will probably just get a CV 35/2.5 for landscape/IR stuff. 35mm Summicron ASPH (and non ASPH) used prices involve more than just love to justify unless one is just plain rich.

"...someone said "zoom" ... man, I am glad that there is no trashy... Zoom in the M portfolio... zoom zoom zoom, the whole Idea makes me angry..."

Yes Robert I said 'Zoom'. Actually I said it was a Sigma zoom. A Sigma zoom made just for digital. A Sigma, Plastic, Digital Zoom, made in Japan. In the very same bag as my M6 and my German, metal, righteous, non-zoom, non Sigma lens. Goodness, you must be livid now!

I also want to know what exactly is it that Robert intends to do about this anger of his, other than the obvious thing...shove it right up his rear. Maybe he has some more creative ideas. He is, after all, an ideas man, you know.

Robert, I have heard a nasty rumour that Cosina make Leica M mount lenses and that they are quite good and they are popular and cheap.

I have heard an even nastier rumour that Leica make AF zooms with their friend Panasonic and Leica make manual zooms for their R cameras.

Nothing wrong with zoom lenses. Nothing wrong with any lens if it helps bring a good photograph home. Don't get angry about that. It does not deserve such emotions.

Why is everyone so upset about a harmless expression of anger? Much better to get it out on a zoom lens on photo.net than pent it up, simmer away, go nuts, and crack like a zoom lens hitting the concrete. Check out the angry Vancouver Canucks fan:<div>00G9FM-29575484.jpg.9fef915d8eb7393812b42537b627ab6f.jpg</div>