NO flash during ceremony...

If you have long, fast lenses, use those, understanding the guideline re handholding long lenses. VR would help as well. If you don't have them, rent them. Last, but not least, use your tripod. Go to the rehearsal so you know where to be and when to get the necessary images...when to get off the tripod, etc. Find out about restrictions--where you can be and when. Do some searching on this forum. There have been past threads about this topic.

"No Flash" ceremonies are actually pretty common and most professionals know this. I would avoid using a tripod (which tends to be somewhat unwieldy) in favor of a monopod which you can move quickly, collapse it, etc.

Fast lenses are important as well-- I'm not sure why someone would recommend a 50mm 1.8 lens-- it's fast, sure, but IMO not the ideal lens for MOST of your ceremony shots. It's best to be able to shoot the ceremony from afar, staying out of the ceremony itself. A 70-200mm 2.8 probably would help this situation.

I shot a wedding with the "no flash" restriction. I had the 17-35mm 2.8 and the 85mm 1.8 on 2 separate D50 Bodies. The 85 1.8 was great in the low light. The 2.8 is fine as long as the subjects aren't moving. I found it hard to get a perfectly focused as the B/G were walking toward me, but that is just my inexperience.

oh, if you are shooting at f/1.8 because of the lighting, try to get both subjects at the same focal distance to prevent one from being in focus and the other from being OOF.

My first PAID wedding was in a small room that had more people than there were seats, I was stuck in a corner behind the alter, and with the bride's back to me...I was not allowed to use a flash. It was a learning experience, but i know exactly what I'd do next time. Some lessons are only learned hands-on.

Most churches will allow you to shoot the processional with flash, so don't assume that when they tell you "no flash", that means the processional too. With even the slow walking done in processionals, you will find it difficult to get sharp images without flash. That goes for the recessional too.

The 85mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor could also be useful for available light photography if you need a longer lens. It and several other Nikkors are currently available with rebates and the 85/1.8 is already pretty reasonably priced.

You'll probably also need some noise reduction software since shooting at higher ISOs will probably be needed. Nikon Capture 4.4 comes with pretty good color (chroma) noise reduction altho' it lacks some finesse in luminance (grainy) noise reduction. Noise Ninja, Neat Image and many others are available.

Bibble Pro now includes a version of Noise Ninja that works with RAW files but the interface is a bit different from the long familiar NN. Also the full version of Noise Ninja isn't available with the demo version of Bibble Pro (certain exceptions, blah-blah-blah...).

Did you do a search on this? The question has come up a LOT before this.

While this is not "PJ" style, re-enacting the ceremony ( the highlights like the vows, rings, first kiss) with flash is still an option in MOST churches.

I have only run into one church that did not allow either flash during the ceremony OR altar returns. Most if they do not allow one, will allow the other and most clergy will help with the re-enacting.

Remember, even with a long lens, this is a religous ceremony and it is important to be polite, unobtrusive and professional. I have been told horror stories by clergy where photographers or videographers have been intrusive and rude. Believe it or not, pictures are not the first order of business in a wedding! :O

"Most churches will allow you to shoot the processional with flash, so don't assume that when they tell you "no flash", that means the processional too." --Nadine Ohara

Very true, just make sure you have the details right with the facility. The last wedding I shot, I confirmed with the administrator that flash would be okay for the processional/recessional at the rehearsal the day before the ceremony. Shot the rehearsal that way for a few dry runs. On the day of the ceremony, I start shooting as agreed with the flash on the processional and out of the corner of my eye, I see the administrator waving her hands in the air trying to get my attention. When I look up, she signals me to stop...oh, well. At least I shoot with two bodies and was already holding the setup for no-flash. I should have taken a picture of her waving her arms LOL!

Kristen,

I was in your same position last week. I went to the rehearsal on Friday night and the minister told me no flash and I had to stay in the back, behind the last guest (this was after the b/g told me I could use flash and shoot from where ever I wanted.) I freaked out a bit but then calmed down enough to get a plan. I rented the 70-200 2/8 (Canon, I don't know the Nikon equivalent). I bought a shutter release cable. Set the camera up on the tripod. Bumped up the ISO to 400 or 800 and shot away. The pictures came out GREAT. After the ceremony we did some reenactment shots with the flash. I actually liked the pictures without the flash better. The only thing I found was that for the church I was in, the 70-200 was a bit long. I stayed around 70mm for most of the shots and stayed in the very back of the church. Good luck! I think you'll be surprised with the results.

I just did a no-flash ceremony with the 17-200 VR. I normally hate that lens but it was adequate. I was fortunate in that the curch was well lit and the bride and groom held pretty still. I've tried using the same lens in low light conditions and it was painfull. Based on my experience I would rent a 70-200 VR.

Even if I am allowed to, I always shoot no flash durring the ceremony. I have had some dark churches. I am waiting for the day when I can't pull it off. But, I typically shoot at 800-1600 ISO, and use the Nikor 80-200 2.8 and a Nikor 50mm 1.8 both on the tripod. If my shutters are really slow, I'll even use a cable release.

I am still taken back by being told that flash is prohibited be- cause it is poperazi-like and detracts from the ceremony. Most churches charge the B/G for the use of the church at this point I would want it my way.

The real frosting is when they fire up the left and right matching Jumbotron looking projection screens to promt to and promote to the congregation. Tell me this doesn't have some Madison Square Garden appeal to it. More gimmicky than flash.

I was photographing in a gorgeous old church, and the pastor prohibited not only flash,

but any photos all together! The bride and groom had no idea he would do that. He

began the ceremony by threatening to take our cameras and film if he saw anyone in the

church, including professionals, taking pictures. Having not discussed this possibility with

the couple, I decided to go up to the balcolny and discreetly take photos. while I felt a bit

disrespectful to the minister, the couple was really happy to have them.

Lisa that sign is actually a projection screen tied in with awesome audio. There is one on the left and one on the right side of the alter.

On that screen they show words to the hymns (like Karaoke, words to prayers,and productions solicite more collections. Talk about hype.

I PS'd the phrase under the word "Offering" to convey the zeal I have encountered regarding the non use of flash by certain clergy.

I shoot church ceremonies all the time ,and even if they allowed flash, I would not use it in order to preserve the ambience. But, in some churches that are more austere with lower cielings, i will use flash if they allow it and bounce. But the old word churches, Catholic, vaulted cielings, etc., I prefer no flash . I use a Canon 20D, usually at ISO 800, with a 50 f1.8 or a 85mm f1.8, or a 16-35 L f2.8, if there is enough light to shoot at f/2.8.

I've never had an outdoor ceremony officiant tell me that I could not use flash, and so, unless it is a cloudy day , for outdoors I use flash for fill.

Patrick

The D70S offers quite a bit of noise in it's high IOS images, so I'd go with a tripod instead of a monopod. You are going to want to keep the ISO at a workable level (i.e., 400-800) to stop movement, but the exposure times in a dark church will require some type of support.

You will still experience movement with a monopod in some cases. A tripod will be a more solid support device, and eliminate blur due to camera movement. I'm pretty good with a monopod or even bracing myself against a column or pew with a VR lens, but I still get minor fuzziness in my images at 1/4-1/2 second exposures on the monopod with a prime lens. Those same images are very sharp (except for subject movement) when I use a solid tripod.

The D70S is a good camera, and used correctly, you can produce excellent ceremony images where no flash is permitted.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
I, like Kari, never shoot flash during the actual wedding ceremony. I'm always at the back of the church and in the balcony. I use a Nikon 80-400VR. I also use a Nikon 24-120 for some beautiful wide shots during the ceremony. If your using a flash during the wedding, your a distraction. If your near the altar, your a distraction. I was on vacation in San Diego a few years ago. We vacationed on a yacht. The yacht was moored at a harbour just across from a Hilton. It was Saturday. A wedding was taking place in the gardens of the Hilton. I could enjoy a glass of wine in my swimming suit and see the wedding from atop the yacht. The photographer was everywhere. I'm sure they were paying her 5 grand (this is San Diego). During the cermony she was actually up at the altar behind the minister! She was distracting me!! This is what I am talking about. Have fun at the weddings..keep on schedule..don't be abusive or rude. Know your next photo or keep your eye open for the exclusive candid. Buy yourself a couple of Nikon D100's or D200's and get rid of those D70's. Two lenses. The 80-400VR and the 24-120VR. With these two lenses you can shoot the entire wedding. Don't go to the rehersal unless your being paid to go. Time is money.