I dove into the deep end

bob mccarthy

Well after way too much thought and research, I dove in. I just

bought a used Technika. Fairly late model, but without any lenses

or assessories. Gots lots of questions, will cover a few.

Lenses - Planning a moderate wide, thinking a Super Symmar (110mm)

(probable the only new lens I'll buy). Two more in the 180 and 300

fl's. Nikon seem like the obvious 300mm, readily available and

fairly inexpensive (certainly compared to the SS), now for the

180mm, schneider (which symmar- apo or not) or nikon or rodenstock?

Is there a real world distinction?

Film holders, fidelity or other?

Loupe, any suggestions as to brand or magnification>

filter/shade setup - I usually shade the lens with a broad brimmed

hat with my 35mm (plus the shade of course)gel's vs. glass?

quickloads/readyloads ??

I have an old soligar (zone VI) that is in need of repair, are they

repairable?

I'm just touching the surface, but any help now is greatly

appreciated.

Bob

Get your hands on a Polaroid 545 or 545i back. Then you can use the quickload/readyload films as well as Polaroid film.

Personally I don't have a preference between film holders other than I do prefer the plastic/metal to wooden only because I've spent more time dealing with fixing the wooden ones. Just due to their age though.

I'm experimenting with using Grafmatic holders right now. Seem to be pretty good. Cuts down on the number of pieces I need to keep track of in the bag.

Check with Richard T. Ritter for the meter repair. Not sure if he works on the old soligor ZVI meters, but he specializes in the Zone VI Pentax spotmeters, and they are pretty similar. I just had an old Pentax repaired and adjusted by Richard...he did a fine job, good price and fast turnaround.

I have 110 XL and a MC 180 Rodenstock Sironar. Both are fine lenses. The long one is a 300 G Claron.

The 110 is a fine lens with great coverage, but somewhat large requiring 67mm filters. You can use 52mm on the inside. A 52>55 step will allow use of the same filters as my 180.

Save for a Pentax digital spot.

There was a fella named Mark who had a 110mm you're looking for on APUG.org for sale

recently. If you can't find it let me know. I'd get the newer fidelity film holders from

feebay. I purchased all of mine used and no complaints. I've got a 150mm APO symmar

that i don't need anymore if you're interested. You may want to get the largest filter size

you expect to need and standardize on that, using step up rings for the smaller lens

diameters. The 110 ss takes big filter's though. The nikkor 300m is an excellent

lightweight lens. The cokin P wide angle size filter holder will hold sing-ray grads and

nd's. If you get into color, you'll want some rectangular neutral density grads. You didn't

say if you'd be doing color or b+w but from my experience you may want to get a polaroid

back like the 545 or the one that holds the fuji fp instant color film. Again, they are

cheap used.

congrats.

The newer Fidelity holders with the button-press slide locks are an improvement on the rotating pin slide locks, if you ask me. I got all mine used on ebay and they are all fine. I also got a few Toyo holders, and they are well made also, but not the button-press types. I like my Sekonic 508 spot/incident meter a lot, but you have to remember that it underexposes about 2/3 of a stop.

I don't know of anybody who's ever complained about their 100mm XL. A 67mm filter is not too big for a 4x5 lens.

A simple way of shading the lens is to buy a Bogen multiclip. It's a device with a big metal clip on each end and a hinging rod in between. Clip one end onto the camera and clip a dark slide into the other end. Infinitely positionable so as to block the sun from the front of the lens. Here's a link to B&H's web page for the clip:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=187029&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Jim, I've never experienced the 2/3 stop underexposure you speak of. I don't use the 508

but many cameramen/women here use them and they always match up to my spectra IV

and minolta F to within 1/10 stop. Sounds like you need a calibration.

A little background might be useful. I briefly dipped my toe into the LF world in the late 80's. Had a Technikardan (first version)but a divorce and refocussing my business as to what paid the rent, made me an ex LF user.

I'm planning to use quickloads/readyloads and do not plan to set up a wet darkroom for now. My Zone VI enlarger, washers, etc. are in storage and will likely stay there. Just moved into a new (used) house, it will take some construction/remodeling to get a wet darkroom up to speed. I'm doing all digital work now and have a print room with both Epson (up to 7600) and HP printers 130 & 90.

The interest in LF is purely artistic as my D2x etc is all I need to serve my business interests.

I have filters of size up the waazoo, so that is not an issue. Plus Lee system

I'll buy a Jobo for B&W processing and send out color.

Issues are: scanners and I've done conciderable looking into the field. I have a Epson 9900 in the shop to use until I make a final decision.

Since my livelyhood doesn't depend on LF, I am making conservative, cost based decisions but I am fortunate to have the printing infrastructure in place.

All I did was B&W in my previous experience. All I do is color in direct digital capture now.

Thanks for the input,

its very useful.

Bob