side "rickety" (not stable), and the 43-degree seems quite wide for

my concert work with a DSLR and a 180 mm. lens. Leg setting around

35 degrees might be perfect.

Yet I notice that the Gitzo Mountaineer Reporter series has 24-, 55-

and 90-degree settings for legs: again, nothing in the vicinity of

35 degrees.

I'd like to stay around 5-6 pounds max. tripod weight (plus head),

and not exceed about $300. Does the choice of the 458B make sense

for stability, given other possible choices?

Ken, I tried the Neotec and didn't like the grease, odd design which looked better on paper.

If you want continuous leg spread for maximum flexibility, you may want to look at Gitzo Explorer tripods, though they are mainly used for macro. I suppose they would be great general-purpose tripods too.

"I'd like to stay around 5-6 pounds max. tripod weight (plus head), and not exceed about $300. "

Not exceed $300 including the head? That's hard to do.

Anyway, try this

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=378768&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

and this

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=217263&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

I tried both, pretty good ones.

I have the Neotec with Bogen Midi size ball, together it was about $400.

Initially I could not get used to it, since it is a different to operate tripod. After a while I got to love it - in part that it works quickly - and in part that I have another 3 tripods, and is time to stop this nonsens. Perhaps there is no ideal tripod.

The grease will wear out like on any tripod.

Though it is not light, not a carbon-fiber. Some people like it for using in a shallow water, since the leg tubes are reversed. The tripod can be standing in a foot of water, - but that is mostly for wild life shooters.

I suggest get tripod in a local photo store and try it. There is no golden rule, since after walking miles with a tripod on your back, you perspective will be different.

"The grease will wear out like on any tripod."

IMX, opening and closing it a few times while wiping the oil off each time gets rid of the visible and messy amounts.

Its advantage over other designs is the very short time it takes to set up and take down, which with a little practice is around a second or two if one is reasonably well-coordinated. If that feature isn't a big deal, there are plenty of other choices.

Arnab,

That would be approximately $300 not including the head. I'm thinking seriously about the 3021, although looking at a basalt Gitzo 1297 or 1298 that looked mighty attractive. Testing side-by-side with the 458B, it seemed that the Gitzo was substantially more stable at a particular height

Ken, Manfrotto 3021 design was perfected over nearly two decades, you cannot go wrong with that one. Unless you really plan to use the center column horizontally, IMO it's better to avoid the 3021 *Pro* version, it feels slightly more prone to vibration because of that horizontal center-col holder design. Along with the Gitzo Explorer 2220, the Manfrotto 3021 is the best-value tripod available currently.

The Gitzos owe much of their stability to the leg-section lock designs. The twist lock is far more stable compared to flip locks (Manfrotto style) or wing knobs (older manfrotto style) -- both of which seem less durable/stable. The flip locks are the quickest to operate though.

Speaking of the basalt tripods -- they are cool but somehow I have always felt they have less impact resistance compared to Al/CF tripods (though I have no reason to suspect so -- I have never seen one break).