I am working with the canon 20D, and using for RAW, both the DPP and

the EOS viewer. What drives me crazy about the DPP is that you are

unable to get a preview of the sharpness like in the viewer (only

when you save the picture). In digital photography, every picture

that comes from a camera with aliasing filter MUST go through a

process of sharpening, and a preview (like in the viewer) is very

important.

Does anyone feels like me ? I already send canon USA a question

about that, but they said there are no plans to change that.

Thanks,

Amit

I don't. I prefer to convert RAW to TIFF, save and archive as a master. I apply USM to

Save As files as the final step after resizing to target size. Why? The amount of USM is

strongly tied to intended use and size. In other words, I sharpen differently for small

prints, large prints and web use. If you apply USM several times the image can soon

look like crap. Besides, screen resolution is a poor way to judge USM for print (but

works well for web of course).

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

You will find that most everyone will recommend to do all sharpening in PS or whatever image editor you are using, the amount depending on end use. Most experts recommend not to sharpen the RAW file at all during conversion.

TIm. You said "Most experts recommend not to sharpen the RAW file at all during conversion". Can you give an explanation why is that? To my understanding it seems that doing that during conversion is better, since you have all the details of the RAW file, which are later get lost. Am I wrong?

<p><i>To my understanding it seems that doing [the sharpening] during conversion is better, since you have all the details of the RAW file, which are later get lost. Am I wrong?</i></p>

<p>The details only get lost if you are converting to format that uses lossy compression, like JPEG. If you convert to a TIFF you still retain individual data for each pixel.</p>

You can always convert to JPG and then check it for sharpness. Personally, I don't need to check sharpening for every image I batch in DPP. Usually, I set the DPP's sharpness to the max (5) and it does the trick for most if not all images.

In regards to resizing for print, I don't necessarily buy it. I save (and sharpen) or 8x12" prints. This also provides for great 4x6. Anything larger and I've still got the original RAW.

Sorry, don't see a problem here.