pam2

Good Afternoon,

I was wondering what type of monopod to buy for my Canon 20D? I want

something without the flipswitches as I understand they tend to

loosen after lots of use. I am looking at a Bogen automatic and

wondered if anyone had experience with one? Also, what quick release

plate goes with it and it is a good idea to get a ballhead for it if

I want to take vertical pictures. I don't know too much about

monopods and have been trying to do my research.

Thanks Pam Vasquez

I find I use my Bogen Automatic FAR more than any other monopod I've owned. The reason is because it is so simple to adjust. I use it more and get better shots for it, I think. Also, I get shots I might otherwise miss alltogether because the height can be so easily changed.

Understand its limitations however. I wouldnt put a very heavy load on it. I think its rated for 17ish lbs, but I wouldnt put near that much on it. If you're going to shoot a really heavy lens, I'd look at something else.

Manfrotto flip locks are usually adjustable--a feature that eliminates concern over "wear." Some find small ballheads useful; others opt for the simpler Manfrotto head that allows for landscape/portrait adjustment only. The RC2 plates should be adequate. If not, then perhaps you should be looking at a tripod.

Pam,

I've only ever owned the Bogen Automatic, so can't compare it to anything, but I can't imagine there is a monopod out there that's more convenient. I generally use it with a 100-300mm or 400mm lens for shooting my kids' sports activities, and since those lenses have a tripod ring on them, the camera can be rotated to the vertical position without use of a ballhead. However, when shooting macro with my 105mm, I will often put a small ballhead on the monopod, and it works just fine. Also, I'm 6' tall, and the Bogen Automatic extends high enough for me to stand straight up when using it.

For years I used a home-made combo hiking staff and monopod while wandering around the Alaskan outback. I put a threaded insert in the top of the grip, protruding just enough to secure the camera and covered it while hiking with a rubber crutch tip which was removed to mount the camera. I rarely take vertical pictures so the absence of any adjustments was an asset rather than a hindrance although I did keep a small ball head in my pack. The hiking staff was also used as a wading staff when fishing, secured to my belt by a lanyard. None of the commercial pods I have encountered have been as satisfactory for my purposes as my DIY 'custom'!

Thanks for all of your helpful responses.

May sound like a silly question, BUT can you take Vertical shots with a swivel head? I thought you could only do so with a ballhead. I don't want anything that would be a hinderance but I definately need to take vertical shots.

I bought a GITZO 1564L...went to a camera store and tried it out and liked it. BUT I still don't know what to do about ballheads and swivels. One of you (don't remember the name off hand..sorry) mentioned another system from Really Right Stuff but it seems a bit complicated to put together. I will spend some more time on that site checking it out. Thanks again!