Nikon Coolpix 8800

benmuscat

Hi everyone. I have the Nikon Coolpix 8800, and would like to

purchase it's telephoto and wideangle lenses. What do you suggest,

shall I buy these or invest in a Nikon SLR? Does anyone have the

telephoto? Does it really increase the Zoom by another 10x?

I have the Nikon coolpix 8700 and got the wide angle adapter which gets you to 28mm. It is a brick. The front is about 90 mm so filters are pretty much out. I never use it.

To be fair, the camera and this lens are still quite light compared to an slr plus lenses.

I don't know if the 8800 uses the same wide angle adapter.

I have a Coolpix 8700 and the D50 DSLR which allows for some fast primes, but getting into the wide end requires high-end dollars.

If the telephoto attachment floats your boat, then you can look for to using a colossus lens and tripod even with your cameras built-in VR. - Keep in mind that you will be using longer shutter speeds. - It may work for you. - If it doesn't, well you have an extra incentive to propsective buyer when you sell the 8800.

With regards to the wide end, you are kind of stuck between a rock and hard place. Even with an wide angle adapter, you won't be able to cover nearly as much territory that you'll get with a fast prime on a full frame 35mm SLR, plus you'll be using slower shutter speeds this hunk of glass will rob you of available light.

Your Coolpix 8800 offers some very advanced features as is, although it is an evolutionary dead end. By that last comment, I mean that I doubt that we'll see a Coolpix 8900 anytime soon. I would leave well enough alone and enjoy the camera as is.

Best Regards - Andrew in Austin, TX

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
I also have the Nikon Coolpix 8800. I get some fair shots with the camera by itself without any add ons. However I'm getting ready to invest in a D200 or D300 by Christmas. For portability I'd rate it a 6/7 out of 10. Sometimes I'd prefer to have D200 or D300 when actually I'm out and about.