Canon Eos3

gerardo_chavez

I was about to buy a Canon 1v at e-buy but somebody else offer more money then I so I lost. Now I

change my mind and I'm thinking in a Canon3 but Is it really noisy? Right now I have a 1991 Conon eos

Rebel S and yes is noisy but It never bothers me to tell the truth I haven't notice. (well I did)But What I

mean is that I thought it was normal All the cameras make noise right? Now how noisy is this camera

compare with my 1991Rebel? I need an upgrade and I like Canon3 more than Canon1v but oooh men

I'm confuse with all the reviews some say is hevy noisy big old, I can't afford the Canon5D and in a couple

of weeks I have a wedding project there's no money involve 'cause is for a friend but I want to be a

Professional (Geneal photographer) Another thing the reason that I like canon3 more than canon1v is the

eye control so this feature work with any EF lens?

film cams arent noisey...it all matters what ISO your Film is. That being said, all you camera does is basically, give you a convienient "Holder" for your film. Noise is in the film you use... ISO 400 will have more noise than ISO 100 speed film. The elan 7n, eos 1 eos 3 and Rebel S are all film cams, the EOS 5D is a digital cam...The eye control will work with your lenses, I opted NOT to get it on my elan 7 because I believe its just a gimmick and only means it's one more thing that can break farther on down the road. I hear lots of complaints and lots of fans of the eye control though... its up to you. Good luck!

-zacker-

The shutter click on the EOS-3 is pretty loud. Is it too loud? That's subjective, I guess. If you're trying to be inconspicuous in a quiet setting, then yeah, it might be too loud. Even in a louder setting, people still may hear the shutter click. In the case of a wedding, everyone knows that there will be at least one person taking photographs, so it may be acceptable.

Gerardo!

I have EOS 3. I don't find the noise to be a problem, but of course, it IS a noisy camera. I believe that the reputation of EOS 3 as a noise monster came because people compared it to the "silent" EOS 5 that came before it. Canon made a lot of promotional fuss about how silent EOS 5 is, so people were a bit shocked that the successor EOS 3 turned out to be quite a bit noisier. Anyway, there are many wedding photographers that have used and still use EOS 3 as their work horse - so this does not seem to be a decisive factor. Most of the medium format film cameras are much noisier still (like Bronica), but wedding photographers seem to be getting away with it. Maybe you should post this question in the wedding forum - there are many really helpful people there. But be prepared to receive comments that you are totally unpreprepared for this wedding project :-) You will soon discover how underequipped and underqualified you are.

One trick that I have read about, but have not tried, is to use the optional power booster PB-E2 and load it with regular AA alkaline batteries/ rechargables. In LOW CONTINUOUS mode this brings down the frame rate to 3 per/sec. (from the original 4.3) This supposedly results in less noise. If I will have time tonight, I will check it out and report back.

ECF may or may not be factor - for some people it does work for some other it does not - but this you can find out only if you get your hands on an EOS 3 and try it out yourself.

Finally, with the wedding only a couple of weeks ago, I suggest that you should get any camera ASAP and have a little practice.

Yep, it's a loud shutter; a bit less than a finger snap. In my experience it has made small

animals swivel their heads, and large animals (humans included) give you the eyeball. But

only occasionally, and at a wedding no one will notice.

Oh, and eye-control: I'm a fan since the Elan7E, but it's not always the easiest way to select

focus. On the EOS-3 you can have up to 3 profiles (1. with glasses; 2. with contacts; 3.

someone else, for example), and it takes a while for the profiles to be consistently accurate in

all lighting. The better lit your subject, the better eye-focusing works: daylight, peachy;

indoors, iffy. Using the dials to select one of the 45 (!) points is sometimes faster.

I used to have an EOS 3, but sold it and bought a Contax N1, and then a Leica R8. When i re-bought an EOS 3 a few weeks ago, i was struck by how loud it is in comparison. Yes, it is loud, but in situations where i would use it, that factor won't be important. It's not a 'stealth' camera, at least not for me. If you really need 'quiet,' use a rangefinder or TLR. I'm not sure how the EOS 3 compares to other EOS, though. I once had a 1n, but it was so long ago, that i don't recall how they related to each other.

[isn't it odd how, in some minds at least, the word "noise" now automatically/first connotes Digital Artifacts instead of Sound? Sound has been around forever, and digital for only ten minutes....]

Gerardo - i chose the 3 over the 1v this time specifically for the Eye Control Focus. It's not "100%" but it's still better for me than using that dial thingy. Don't know how well it works with slow lenses, but it's quite nice with the fast (f1.2 - f2) primes i use.

The EOS 3 has a loud, high-pitched clack and whine that denotes the mirror slap and film wind-on respectively. It was alarming, at first, when I upgraded from a Canon EOS 5, however, I have grown used to it. The EOS 1V reportedly has a more 'refined' sound. Of course everything is relative; compared to the noise of my Rollei 6008i or a Pentax 645, the Canon comes out quiet!

It is kindof a shreiking sound, but personally I really love that sound. Call me weird, but I think it is cool then again I am mostly shoot landscapes and portraits so the noise doesn't ever bother my subjects. I wouldn't trade my EOS 3 for anything, it is simply an awesome feeling camera, the perfect tool in every way.

If you need a rugged camera that has some weatherproofing and you don't mind the weight and the noise, and if you need a spot meter and have use for custom functions, then I would go for the EOS 3. If you want a quieter camera, then I would get an Elan 7N.

It is noisy if you want stealth for candid, otherwise it makes for a GREAT camera. Build is excellent, I have yet to find its digital counter part except for the 1D's. I do find the ECF not compatible with my use even though it was the main deciding factor for my purchase! It feels very pro in your hands and thus will give you confidence when shooting!

>>Enrique de la Huelga: The better lit your subject, the better eye-focusing works: daylight, peachy; indoors, iffy.

I do not think this is correct. It is not ECF, but focusing accuracy that suffers in low light conditions.

There are two totally separate things here: 1) ECF which is only a means of selecting a focusing point and 2) the focusing (speed and accuracy) itself. ECF is not dependant on how well or not well lit the subject is (ECF is also not dependant on how fast or slow the lens is). ECF works by means of infrared diodes that shine a little light on the eyeball and track what section of the image the photographer is looking at. If anything, ECF works better in darker conditions, because ECF suffers from stray light that hits the viewfinder in sunny conditions.

And yes, the second phonomenon - focusing accuracy and speed is very dependant on the lighting conditions and the speed of lens. But this is irrespective whether you choose the focusing point manually or by means of ECF.

I own an EOS 3 + EOS 5 and to describe either camera as noisy is laughable, try any Nikon and you'll know what noisy is. Having owned and used both systems I know which is the quieter. Just an after thought why not go for an EOS 350 or an Eos 20/30D ?

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I hate the sound of the EOS3. It is obnoxious. I prefer

the 1v and/or the EOS5 myself. The 5 is the quietist, but the 1v has a better sound than the 3.

Eye-control on the 3 is crappy IMO and I don't even try to use it anymore because it just wastes my time. In fact, I just plain don't like the 3 at all. Others really love it though.

If it were me, I'd spring for a 1v and forget the 3, but YMMV.

C Painter